galaxy777

Hi all. Me and hubby have been out on some exploring trips and we've come across several bones that are very dark. I want to say mineralized. They are not fossilized. Also I'm sure bovine in most cases, and maybe bison? Also, recently came across a deer skull cap and partial antlers.

The area we have found some of these pieces are in a creek in Grayson county Texas (Choctaw creek) that consist of heavy red clay, grey marl and sand.
I don't know even where to start on dating non fossilized bones, other than the good ole' it's darker so older method. :blink: I can understand that simply it being exposed to heavy red clay that it may darken the bone considerably, but still the dating method eludes me.

Help?

Here are some examples I have.

post-12130-0-15185500-1460037947_thumb.jpg

post-12130-0-42127200-1460037974_thumb.jpg

post-12130-0-09425800-1460037992_thumb.jpg

post-12130-0-07895700-1460038004_thumb.jpg

dating things like this is not easy or cheap. They would be great candidates for Carbon 14 dating, i think,but that costs about 700 bucks. Others might have better ideas....

Thanks for the reply. I had looked into the carbon 14 dating and had major sticker shock lol.

Bone is primarily composed of hydroxyapatite and collagen. Hydroxyapatite is an inorganic compound of calcium, phosphate, and hydroxide which is organized in a crystal latticework that gives bone (and teeth) structural rigidity. It preserves well as a fossil under some conditions.

Collagen is a fiberous protein that serves as connective tissue in bones and muscles. It does not preserve well in a fossil. As collagen decomposes, it may be replaced in the hydroxyapatite latticework by minerals from the depositional environment (e.g. silica dioxide dissolved in groundwater).

Bone reinforced with exogenous minerals is said to be "mineralized." If a bone is mineralized, it is more likely to be a fossil. If a bone is not mineralized, it is less likely to be a fossil. No absolutes, only likelihoods, because there are exceptions.

A 'burn test' or 'match test' will usually indicate whether there is collagen remaining in a bone -- scorched collagen has an awful smell. Teeth - dentin and enamel - contain hydroxyapatite, but don't contain much collagen, so the 'burn test' on a tooth would be a waste of time.

These bone do appear to be bovid. The skull-cap with horn core appears to be a Texas longhorn. The smaller bones are juvenile, since the epiphyses are missing -- all of them. You may have found the remains of a cow with an unborn calf or a cow that died giving birth; but, I am not certain what the smaller bones represent. The age would be recent, say 300 years or much less.

post-42-0-54738500-1460049888_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest