Fossilized Nut?

MDHunter

I found this specimen at a location in Piscataway, MD. In the area I discovered it, I also found an abundance of turritella molds and fossilized sand tiger shark teeth.

But what in the world is this? It has the wedge like shape of a nutshell, but is completely mineralized (it's rock solid), and has an exterior texture that is possibly nut-like but could also be a skin-like texture.

Please help!

post-21157-0-01593500-1460064473_thumb.jpg

post-21157-0-59716300-1460064565_thumb.jpg

There are some locations not too far off Piscataway Creek that produce some interesting non-fossil concretions. Several of the specimens I found had bright red hematite centers that eventually turned brown when exposed to air. I have never heard of nuts being found in that area but nuts are fairly common in some strata around Pope's Creek.

There are some locations not too far off Piscataway Creek that produce some interesting non-fossil concretions. Several of the specimens I found had bright red hematite centers that eventually turned brown when exposed to air. I have never heard of nuts being found in that area but nuts are fairly common in some strata around Pope's Creek.

I thought about that, but something about the exterior print/texture makes me question its viability to be a concretion.

I thought about that, but something about the exterior print/texture makes me question its viability to be a concretion.

That is a striking texture. It is consistent with that of iron-based minerals like hematite.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived