PA Fossil Finder

Big Brook Trip on the 16th

PA Fossil Finder
My father and I (and hopefully a friend) are planning on taking a trip to Big Brook on the 16th of April (a Saturday). We will probably be parking at the bridge on Boundary Road. What's Big Brook like around this time of year? Will the stream be low enough for hunting? I've never been to Big Brook but I'm very excited for this trip. What sort of tools should I bring? I've got two 1/2 inch sifters, one 1/4 inch sifter, and some smaller ones (1/16, 1/20 inch sifters) that I'm going to try and collect some microfossil matrix with. Any info or tips for this site would be greatly appreciated!

Trevor

Depending on the rain (which I don't think there will be any), the water should be low enough for boots. The sifters you have sound alright, but if this is your first time I think you should bring some plastic bins, towels, bucket for washing hands/feet, bucket for some material to take home, and some snacks and stuff. I may be able to come on the 16th. I would bring some trowels or small shovels like 2-3 feet since the large ones are banned from Big Brook. If you want to find a lot I would go a little farther down stream so maybe a larger backpack. Folding chairs that you are willing to get wet are also nice but not necessary. Boundary road, if you may not know, is kind of difficult to park around and you will need to park in a little alcove past the bridge. There may be other cars around, I don't know if you know the parking, being it your first time.

PA Fossil Finder

Depending on the rain (which I don't think there will be any), the water should be low enough for boots. The sifters you have sound alright, but if this is your first time I think you should bring some plastic bins, towels, bucket for washing hands/feet, bucket for some material to take home, and some snacks and stuff. I may be able to come on the 16th. I would bring some trowels or small shovels like 2-3 feet since the large ones are banned from Big Brook. If you want to find a lot I would go a little farther down stream so maybe a larger backpack. Folding chairs that you are willing to get wet are also nice but not necessary. Boundary road, if you may not know, is kind of difficult to park around and you will need to park in a little alcove past the bridge. There may be other cars around, I don't know if you know the parking, being it your first time.

If Boundary Road is difficult for parking, do you have any suggestions as to other parking areas or places to enter the brook? I thought you could park on the south side of the bridge.

Shazuren

You can park on Boundary Road but parking is literally on the shoulder(like open your door at the wrong time and goodbye door). The next street that Big Brook crosses downstream is Hillsdale Road and there is some parking on the side of the road there. Either place is OK to park though.

Trevor

I apologize for the miscommunication, PA Fossil Finder. I had meant that the parking is easy to miss and that it sometimes may be a bit crowded, not that one cannot park there. Shazuren summed up the rest though so that is good.

PA Fossil Finder

No problems, Trevor. I know that larger shovels and screens are banned from Big Brook, and that you can't dig into the banks of streams and rivers, but other than that are there any other rules or regulations regarding the brook?

Scylla

I would just park on Hillsdale, a lot more room, and just as many fossils. You can walk from one to the other anyway. Some short detours might be necessary depending how wet you are willing to get. This time of year I would bring waders if you have them. Big brook has areas that always overtop your boots. In summer that is fine, now it gets cold. If you want to collect all day, hypothermia is your enemy and staying dry is important. Your 1/2 inch sifter is only good for keeping gravel out of the 1/4 inch sifter. Very few fossils there will stop in a 1/2 inch mesh except exogyra and a lucky belemnite, but those you will just see and pick up. Good luck!

PA Fossil Finder

I would just park on Hillsdale, a lot more room, and just as many fossils. You can walk from one to the other anyway. Some short detours might be necessary depending how wet you are willing to get. This time of year I would bring waders if you have them. Big brook has areas that always overtop your boots. In summer that is fine, now it gets cold. If you want to collect all day, hypothermia is your enemy and staying dry is important. Your 1/2 inch sifter is only good for keeping gravel out of the 1/4 inch sifter. Very few fossils there will stop in a 1/2 inch mesh except exogyra and a lucky belemnite, but those you will just see and pick up. Good luck!

Actually, I checked the sifter I thought was a 1/4 inch - it turns out it's actually a 1/8 inch sifter! Oh well, I guess I'll just find more small fossils. I know the 1/2 inch sifter is too large for most fossils, I'm mostly going to be using that to separate large rocks when I collect some microfossil gravel. Where can I park on Hillsdale Road?

Shazuren

Did you make it to Big Brook? How did it go?

Scylla

I don't know about PA fossil finder, but I was there yesterday and we found nothing at Big Brook except a few belemnite fragments and broken exogyra. I have never seen it this bad and silted up. There were four of us and we found a total of one shark tooth. We went to some other sites and did better later.

PA Fossil Finder

Yes, I made it to Big Brook on the 16th. Found some belemnites and Exogyra oysters, and with the 1/8 inch screen I found some nice shark teeth. I also collected some microfossil gravel to search when I got back home. I've already found some great stuff in the micro gravel, including a nice Archaeolamna tooth and my first sawfish rostral tooth! Ironically, my largest shark tooth was found without a sifter. I just randomly scooped up some gravel with my hands, and I found a big Scapanorhynchus tooth.