Fake Keichousaurus?

waughgavin

• 2 weeks later...

So, waughgavin, did you end up purchasing this specimen? If so, how did it turn out?

---Prem

I did get this fossil, however, as I'm still inexperienced I don't really know what else I can do to verify it's authenticity. Is there anything you'd suggest?

I did get this fossil, however, as I'm still inexperienced I don't really know what else I can do to verify it's authenticity. Is there anything you'd suggest?

You could run a UV light over it. If any parts were painted on they would shine from the UV light.

You could always get an x-Ray to see if they're bones. However x-rays are becoming more unreliable in detecting real or fake fossils.

You could run a UV light over it. If any parts were painted on they would shine from the UV light.

You could always get an x-Ray to see if they're bones. However x-rays are becoming more unreliable in detecting real or fake fossils.

I don't know if this helps, but the seller said that he checked with a UV light and saw no fake parts.

I don't know if this helps, but the seller said that he checked with a UV light and saw no fake parts.

I'm always skeptical when I make a purchase and always have to see if it's real first hand. So naturally I don't take a seller's word when I make a purchase and am a little cautious. Especially with fossils coming from China and Morocco. I usually double check to make sure there are no fake parts and luckily I haven't run across any problems besides a couple misidentifications.

Edited by Runner64

I'm always skeptical when I make a purchase and always have to see if it's real first hand. So naturally I don't take a seller's word when I make a purchase and am a little cautious. Especially with fossils coming from China and Morocco. I usually double check to make sure there are no fake parts and luckily I haven't run across any problems besides a couple misidentifications.

I'll have to get a UV light to check then

You could take it to your local hospital and have the rafiology dept ct scan it. Myounshould be able to see the bones inside the rock. And ct folks love to scan non human things so they will be happy to do it for free. If not go to the next hospital with the specimen.

• I found this Informative 1

I'd like to see some closer, detailed photos, under bright light of the areas that were previously flagged as possibly reconstructed, such as the front of the skull, tail, and extremities. You can also pick up an inexpensive small black light for under $20 on Amazon, and possible cheaper at a local store.

---Prem

• 3 months later...

It is a real specimen but with restorations :

The parts circled are very obvious restoration by paint

post-19336-0-43351600-1470780380_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Fossildav

UV won't work here - most paints do not shine under UV light.

X-Ray is fine and in my opinion the best way to detect fakes, but unless the slab is very thin, you won't see the tiny phalanges and the tip of the tail.

Thomas

Edited

Just to get me right: UV light is an excellent tool to detect glued or restored parts - unfortunately not every polymer used shines under UV light.

If you buy fossils, I think it is a must to have one of these black lights - they are absolutely worth the money.

I've checked a Keichousaur I once bought in Shanghai under UV light - the painted parts do not shine under UV. I guess they just used simple carbon black ink to imitate the phalanges

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).