Fossil With A Pit

fngonuts

these fossils were found near a coal mine in Pennsylvania. I broke one open and was surprised to find what looks like a peach pit inside. The fossil is approx. 5.75cm long, 5cm wide and 3.5cm high. The pit was already broken before I broke the fossil open and half of it still remains embedded in the fossil. The approx. measurements for the pit are 2cm long, 1.5cm wide and 1cm high. I would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks,

Kevin

post-204-1200611770_thumb.jpg

post-204-1200612392_thumb.jpg

hmm i dont know what you have there but i sure looks interesting.... if it is some sort of seed or i would quess it could be from a Cycad?

anyway cool rock! :D

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Well I actually have two of them. I have found over a dozen but I only kept two. I would of thought it was just a cool rock but all of them are the same size and shape. I think if they all look the same on the outside they are all gonna look the same on the inside. I think if I break them all open they will all have the same peach like pit inside. I'm sure someone will know here.

it's a fossilized human brain!!

Oh My gosh... NO WAY!!!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

LOL, at first I thot it was a microcephalic fossilized brain, perhaps of some hobbit-like hominid but the more I look at it it looks like a nut, reminds me of a hickory nut actually, and a brain.

well curiousity got the better of me. I broke the other one open. I was amazed to find a human brain. LOL JK

It looks different on the inside then the other one. When I broke this one open a pit didn't fall out. It does have

something inside that has a similar shape but since it didn't fall out I can't tell if there is any crators in it like

the other one. check it out

post-204-1200699266_thumb.jpg

post-204-1200699734_thumb.jpg

Yeah, geode is what I thought but I also that would be a weird place to find a geode - so I just said inorganic.

You can never tell. Once at a gravel pit in SW Nebraska I found a very round rock about the size of a grapefruit. I broke it open and found it was a calcite geode with beautiful light yellow crystals.

the very outer surface I can scratch with a quartz crystal but not without breaking the point off my crystals. Every other surface has broken the points off many of my crystals without leaving a scratch. I don't have anything harder than that and the fiancee isn't about to let me borrow any jewelry. Hope this helps.

Guest solius symbiosus

It is a geode. Many minerals crystallize boytroidally(bulbous, roundish). From your description, I think that is what you have.