Ropterus

Finally found my first meg down at Bayfront Park this weekend! Just laying there at the edge of the water looking up at me. Tip and one side are damaged and it's not the biggest by any means but it looks perfect to me! Does have really nice, sharp serrations, and the root is in great shape.

post-20548-0-38822000-1460329601_thumb.jpgpost-20548-0-83855600-1460329656_thumb.jpg

:thumbsu:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice! And here's to many more :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

YEAAAAH! That's fantastic! Colors are great!

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Congrats on that fine tooth!

I am curious, however, I noticed the cusps and am wondering if it is a C. chubutensis instead of a meg?

Thanks everyone! Still excited! Every time I go I seem to find something different. Found a nice dolphin vert as well as a nice Mako and my first crocodile tooth as well.

darctooth, I think it may have only been 2 weeks ago you and several others were telling me it was just a matter of time.

Rustdee, you could be right. I guess it depends on what you read. By no means am I an expert so I've read it could be C. chubutensis or it could be a juvenile meg or something in between as the shark evolved. Either I'm happy with it and it made a trip to remember for sure.

It looks to be a chubtensis based on the broad flattened cusps. Chubs are common at calvert.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Could you post a pick of the croc tooth? I have not found one of those yet.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I'm fairly certain that your tooth is cetacean and not croc. It looks like a nice one.

I agree.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Man, I can't get anything right! I was going by what I saw in the book I got from the Calvert marine museum. Bear with me, I've lots to learn! I still saw pics online that are similar to what I have and they are calling them croc teeth. Perhaps they are incorrect as well. This tooth looks like it has a "shell" around it. Should that stay on or should it come off? It looks as if it really is part of the tooth. I really do appreciate all of the input from everyone, even when you tell me how wrong I am. Lol. Thanks again!post-20548-0-82186900-1460595127_thumb.jpg

Great finds! Congrats

That is part of the root of the tooth, you wouldn't want to remove it. It's in darn good condition, a nice find

Croc teeth can look similar, but just keep collecting and you'll be able to tell the difference in no time. Plus it's a good excuse to find more

Thanks for the pics Ropterus. And hey, even if its not a croc, it is still a tooth and its still a fossil.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Finally found my first meg down at Bayfront Park this weekend! Just laying there at the edge of the water looking up at me. Tip and one side are damaged and it's not the biggest by any means but it looks perfect to me! Does have really nice, sharp serrations, and the root is in great shape.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160410_115111266.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160410_184703095.jpg

I told you it would be starring at you haha thats always how it feels

I told you it would be starring at you haha thats always how it feels

Haha! You were right! And as soon as I saw it, I thought about that too! Well, after the HOLY S@#T part! Haha

Archived