McHorse

Oaro, New Zealand- Mystery weekend

McHorse

Greetings all,

My 30th birthday is looming ever closer and I have discovered that my partner is taking me on a mystery weekend away. I have been chipping away at her trying to get some clues as to where we are going and I am now reasonably confident that we are going fossil hunting in Oaro.

Since neither of us have been fosiling at Oaro before I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some pointers on where to look and what to look out for. I cant wait!!

Regards

Ab Aeterno

Hi McHorse, have you had your trip yet?

Mike Pocock

Hi Hope you had a good trip, if you haven't been yet, I hope you have a good trip, it would be lovely if you could take lots of images of the local and do a field trip report for those of us who will never get to go to such a location in your part of the world.

Regards

Mike

6ix

Hi mate - I've been there once with the kids, just after a good storm. Found some interesting Belemites and nice chunks of pet wood.

Kiwisouth

Oaro is still a popular spot for us at the Marlborough Rock and Mineral Club, especially after the Kaikoura earthquakes. There are still lots of belemnites, petrified wood, fossil bone loose and still in rock. Just watch out for the seals. I'll organise some photos of some of our club collection plus some that I have taken at Oaro last year (2018). I want to go back some time. Just 2 hours away.

6ix

I havent been there since the shakey shakey - flown over there heaps, and drive past more but sadly all for work and no time for play.

Next week is usually the familys "easter egg hunt" for crabs, but if we can time the tide and the drive (I'm 2 hours away too) I'd bee keen to tag along.  Do you have the key?  I have a 4wd...