Looking for a stereo microscope for my kids

aplomado

I would like to get a stereo (dissecting) microscope for my kids to play around with.

Is there one I could buy for under $60 that would work well for this purpose?

I know amscope has some low price ones. I've never personally seen one though.

Or are all the cheaper ones junk?

Thanks.

Edited by aplomado

AmScope has a good entry level scope at around $70 that I think you will be fine with. I would stay away from the real cheap ones.

http://www.amscope.com/student-microscopes/40x-1000x-all-metal-all-optical-glass-lens-student-biological-field-microscope-with-led-light.html

Hello, I want a stereo scope- a dissecting scope! Sorry I wasn't more clear. We have have regular microscope already.

Keep your eyes peeled on eBay and you can get a real professional level scope (used) Bauch and Loomb, Olympus , Nikon for about $125 if you wait till bidding is slow and don't overbid. Much better than any low end scope you can buy new. If you check threads there are some good conversations on the topics of scopes here on the forum. These scopes are fairly common because they are used in PCB inspection and a lot of companies have gone under.

Shhh -come on guys the prices keep going up and I'm losing bids. :)

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Exciting day yesterday. I only spent about 3 weeks on the website looking at the offerings.

There are a lot of stereo zoom bodies out there. Quite a few do not have eye pieces but they can be purchased separately from other vendors. I bid on several with boom arms and wasn't very successful. I found a nice looking scope with a stand and a ring light that I can also convert to a boom arm with a home made articulating arm. I haven't used the bidding website before but it seemed like a good experience so far. Check shipping charges, they vary widely. Haven't received the scope yet though.

The OP should take jg up on his offer.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

(If you haven't already solved your need), you might consider a magnification visor. I got the Optivisor DA7 (shown) for my boys ages 7 & 9. Although it's not as powerful as a microscope (2.5x @ 8") it's extremely portable and we can even take it in the field with us if we choose. The back button very quickly adjusts from my head down to theirs.

They're $50 ish at hobby stores as well as many online sources.

Hope this helps,

Mpost-19469-0-89248300-1461120632_thumb.jpg

Mitchell

Don't Sit Still - - You'll Fossilize! :P

The scope arrived today, way ahead of schedule. It was accurately described as a vintage instrument and I could see the potential problems in the photos. The base riser is bent but the focusing arm works well as does the scope and light. I have only experienced fossil stereoscopic vision with the aforementioned visor and a wide view loupe. It works but requires a third hand to do anything. For this set up i paid 150 + 30 shipping and am thrilled. It also has a 1.5x objective attached. I'm now looking for the 0.5x Barlow lens to hopefully help my atrocious eyesight while prepping. aplomado sorry for hijacking your post but check out malcomt scope posts. He provides excellent information.

post-4721-0-97237100-1461196129_thumb.jpeg

Edited by squali

Hello you all,

Thanks for your advice! I did what you said and bought a used scope on an auction website. Hopefully it will be a good one.

Sorry jgcox, I bought the scope before I saw your post. I haven't been able to post for a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep your eyes peeled on eBay and you can get a real professional level scope (used) Bauch and Loomb, Olympus , Nikon for about $125 if you wait till bidding is slow and don't overbid. Much better than any low end scope you can buy new. If you check threads there are some good conversations on the topics of scopes here on the forum. These scopes are fairly common because they are used in PCB inspection and a lot of companies have gone under.

Shoot for the Nikon