Kem Kem theropod tooth

bcfossilcollector

An example of an unknown tooth from the Taouz Kem Kem Basin of Morocco. This is the type of tooth that is often attributed to Deltadromeus agilis, but until we find that missing skull its a big ? Tooth is just shy of 1 3/4 inches. Thanks again to Troodon for his excellent information as regards Kem Kem teeth and other fossils. Subsequent to that information I've labelled this tooth as Kem Kem theropod indet.

Lesterpost-19338-0-47745400-1460934176_thumb.jpgpost-19338-0-64454000-1460934188_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Very nice tooth love the shape, it's not typical what you see from the Kem Kem. Your ID in my opinion is appropriate. Hopefully it will turn out to be a Deltadromeus.

It almost looks Tyrannosaurid to me

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Deltadromeus is another one of those Kem Kem mysteries one hopes will be solved/resolved. It seems even when materials are found ie the recent Spinosaurus find, a storm of controversy is not far behind. I suppose partial answers are better than no answers :)

• 2 years later...

Yes I agree large bodied abelsauirdae. And possibly is deltadromeus however as no skull or jaw material has been found..... it's impossible to say.

8 hours ago, bcfossilcollector said:

Just thought I’d bump this post. @JurassicParkCarnotaurus@Haravex  An unknown theropod tooth from the Kem Kem that exhibits some of the characteristics of an abelisauridae.?

Have not changed my initial diagnosis on this tooth as indeterminate, nothing new has been published.  I dont see an Abelisaurid, the distal edge is not perpendicular enough to the base.   Here is an example of a large bodied Abelisaurid. 

Screenshot_20180811-043731.thumb.jpg.904de8c227c484a37b01a13d20e47a90.jpg

Extending off of @-Andy-'s comment I've seen a few few kem kem teeth that looked very tyrannosaurid. Maybe there is still yet an undescribed tyrannosaurid in the kem kem beds? 

1 hour ago, Bone guy said:

Extending off of @-Andy-'s comment I've seen a few few kem kem teeth that looked very tyrannosaurid. Maybe there is still yet an undescribed tyrannosaurid in the kem kem beds? 

The fossil record from Africa shows no evidence of Tyrannosauroids from that continent.  I think its an anterior tooth of a Neovenatorid but hate to speculate because we know so little.

15 hours ago, Troodon said:

Have not changed my initial diagnosis on this tooth as indeterminate, nothing new has been published.  I dont see an Abelisaurid, the distal edge is not perpendicular enough to the base.   Here is an example of a large bodied Abelisaurid. 

Screenshot_20180811-043731.thumb.jpg.904de8c227c484a37b01a13d20e47a90.jpg

In spite of the paucity of large bodied abelisauridae teeth,I find they have a morphology very similar to the more common small abelisaurid teeth one often encounters in the commercial market. I was struck by the similarity between the tooth in this thread and the excellent tooth Haravex posted in the very informative thread started by JurassicParkCarnotaurus. I have seen one other tooth with a similar morphology cautiously attributed to Deltadromeus although the attribution is ,of course, spurious. If these teeth can be attributed to a specific group I sometimes think the Megalosauridae would be the most accurate. But there is no geologic or fossil evidence to provide the frame of reference necessary to reach such a conclusion. It remains a theropod tooth with no context apart from the fact it was found somewhere in the Kem Kem. Another indeterminate theropod tooth. 

The key feature of Abelisaurids is the distal edge being perpendicular to the base which is lacking in your tooth.  Haravex tooth was very nice but did not look like an Abelisaurid from that angle.  I said it could be a Neovenatorid so Deltadromeus is a possibility. Unfortunately Megalosaurids did not make in into the later Cretaceous.  We know so little, even with Spinosaurids, what taxons are valid, how many exist and is Spinosaurus aegyptiacus valid in the Kem Kem.  Every collector wants answers but its just will take time.

On 8/12/2018 at 9:04 AM, Troodon said:

The key feature of Abelisaurids is the distal edge being perpendicular to the base which is lacking in your tooth.  Haravex tooth was very nice but did not look like an Abelisaurid from that angle.  I said it could be a Neovenatorid so Deltadromeus is a possibility. Unfortunately Megalosaurids did not make in into the later Cretaceous.  We know so little, even with Spinosaurids, what taxons are valid, how many exist and is Spinosaurus aegyptiacus valid in the Kem Kem.  Every collector wants answers but its just will take time.

I posted that tooth a while ago in this topic the question is near the bottom of this page http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/81543-ken-kem-id-help-part-3/&page=3 , you showed examples of majugsaurus and mentioned that "Chenanisaurus barbaricus has pretty large teeth with similar serrations."

My Chenanusaurus teeth, one below, have have similar serrations to Majung. but all exhibit a perpendicular distal edge which I do not see in the above photo

AbelT3a.thumb.jpg.9c175686a24efc800b44a68fab06bafe.jpg

This one has a lingual bend but if you look at it its distal edge is perpendicular to the base.  How does you tooth look.

Screenshot_20180813-164825.thumb.jpg.403802d2cb851aa8bef55efe376a2edf.jpg

I'm really struggling with the terminology, I was just showing the one you gave an opinion on before in the id section, because originally I thought it looked very much like a tyrannosaurid tooth.

Archived