massive claw-hell creek

akazaran

This is a 11 cm long claw (13cm along the curve) found in the Hell Creek formation. I dont have much informations about it. Apparently there is some slight restauration on one side but not on the tip.

Does anyone have an idea about the ID?

Thanks for helping...

post-18373-0-05512200-1461054874_thumb.png

Looks like an Anzu Wyliei hand claw to me. Beautiful claw! Congrats!

I agree. The size of it takes off a dromeosaur and this claw isn't fat enough to be Rex.

For comparative reason, here is the manual ungual I of specimen CM 7800 from the collections of the Section of Vertebrate Paleontology at Carnegie Museum of Natural History :

post-17588-0-32838900-1461063913_thumb.jpgpost-17588-0-51059600-1461064176_thumb.jpg

A New Large-Bodied Oviraptorosaurian Theropod Dinosaur from the Latest Cretaceous of Western North America - Matthew C. Lamanna et al.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/asset?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0092022.PDF

Some nice examples are presented here : http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/57267-my-jurassic-park/

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

No question it's an Anzu wylieI hand claw and with the curvature it's most likely Digit #1. Very nice claw. Most are found with some compression because of the thinness coupled with size.

Acheroraptor?

Just an FYI. Acheroraptor was a very small dromaeosaurid estimated to be just 3m long. So it's hand claws would be small and gracile.

Thansk fo all your hindsights. I was also thinking about Anzu. Just to be clear, I dont own this specimen. It s available for sale on the internet.

Archived