Braving the weather for Sheppey crab haul!

gremlinshow

Today I found myself with a few hours to spare but the weather didn't look too good. The wind was strong and the clouds looked like imminent rain. I decided to risk it and head out to the beach.

Wrapped up with plenty of layers and my trusty hoody I started along the shingle towards my usual hunting spot. With the strong onshore wind the tide had not receeded very far as of yet and was cutting me off from my prefered location so I decided to look around the sections I had access to.

Almost immediately I spotted my first crab of the day. This was quickly followed by 2 more! Feeling lucky I decided to stay a while longer and found another couple to add to the collection.

After the tide had receeded enough to move to the next section I moved on and was rewarded again finding a handfull more crabs and some badly rolled fossils.

Moving on from this point was another rewarding section below a soon to fall tree where I found my first ever recognisable lobster! :-)

I finally reached my favoured section where I found a few small sharks teeth. Looking to the sky I could see it was going to turn nasty very soon, so I turned back towards the car. Along the way I picked up a final couple of crabs and then hurried back to the car with my pockets full!

Upon reaching the car the heavens opened! I had made it just in time!

Feeling very lucky today!

Here is a nodule with 2 crabs in. I think they are glyphithyreus witherelli

post-19878-0-87333500-1461352124_thumb.jpg

Thanks, was a big surprise as finding fossils on Sheppey has been very slow of late so hopefully this is the start of some exciting finds to come :-)

Archived