Preserving clay with fossils/imprints in them.

Raistlin

So Steve and I got back from our trip to collect mazon nodules. At a pay site I discovered some layered clay that has fossils in it. I grabbed some to separate later but here are a few examples of what they look like. The clay is only semi moist drying more each day.

What is the best way to preserve them so that they do not become brittle and crumble apart?

VVYBIgv.jpg

5Zh3yTm.jpg

FzJPgC9.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/auuS2

Robert
Southeast, MO

I'm sure there are a couple preferred consilodants to stabilize them once dry, but take your time getting them to that point by drying them slowly to reduce shrinkage.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Would just leaving them at normal room temp and humidity be okay for slow drying? Would a flat or satin clear coating be okay for stabilizing?

Robert
Southeast, MO

I use clear elmers glue and water for simple and cheap stabilizing.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I might retard the drying process by covering them loosely with damp newspaper.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wrap in damp newspaper or towel, then wrap in dry newspaper or towels, then put it in a cardboard box. Let it sit for a week or so. That usually does a good job of slowly drying the clay. Clay and soft shale are notorious for cracking up due to the expansive nature of clay.

Once dry and prepped, consolidate with PVA or Butvar dissolved in Acetone.