gavialosuchus americanus skull

akazaran

Here is a 86 cm (34inches) long gavilosuchus americanus skull available for sale. According to the seller there is only "very minimal restoration" on the jaws, the snout and the posterior art of the skull. I have the feeling that the lower jaw may actually be massively reconstructed but it is hard to judge on pictures and I am far from being an expert. I would much apreciate o have your opinion on this skull and the amount of restoration/reconstruction.

post-423-0-72275200-1461525127_thumb.jpg

You are not going to determine the magnitude of the restoration with this photo. I can see what appears to be extensive work in both the upper and lower.

Have the seller send you additional closeup photos and outline the areas that have been restored. If he's unwilling to do that walk away from the skull.

another pic of the distal part of the lower. Unfortunately I had to reduce the size of the pic to be able to post it.

post-18373-0-43778800-1461528889_thumb.jpg

In my opinion, there has been a comparatively small amount of good quality restoration with fidelity to the species (to be expected), and no outright fabrication or fanciful embellishment. I doubt that a perfect, pristine example exists anywhere. It is up to you to determine whether you can live with what you will see every day when you look at it. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There is restoration on the front of the lower jaw. Impossible to determine with your photo. If it concerns you, ask the seller to identify where it has been done and if all the teeth are orginial to the skull.

I think there's some restoration on the back of the skull where it hinges with the lower jaw as well.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

@Lord trilobite: There is definitely some restoration on the posteior part of the skull and the lower jaw (basically the aera of the articulation between the mandible and the skull). There is also some restoration more anteriorly on the lower jaw (the aera outlined by Trootond in one of his post with the the white line) These restoration have been more or less described by the seller who sent me up the close-up pics.

To be honest, his e-mail was a bit confuse and I am not sure to understand what he meant exactly but the close-up pics that he sent are quite clear so I really think that he didnt try to hide that. He also sayd that all the teeth are original .

The thing that I would like to know is to what extent the rest of the skull and lower jaw are restaured... From the pics I think that the skull (the part that we can see on the pics) is mostly natural (the seller sayd "very minimal restoration on the snout") but I have a doubt about the lower jaw. The probem I have is that I cant post the pics as they are because it s too big.

I sent another email to the seller to get more informations. I ll keep you updated.

Looks good to me, even museum's reconstruct stuff, no such thing as a complete dinosaur around, with every bit of bone intact.

If somebody says so, full of that stuff from the toilet. :)

My friend is an assistant to the state museum here, so I have been in the back room, a lot of fixed stuff, most will never know or care as looks the part.

I bet not cheap neither. :blink:

So price would be the deal. B)

Jeff

Looks perty darn cool to me with restoration or no restoration. I would think that price would make the decision?

RB

• 1 month later...

Ok firstly it is NOT a Gavialosuchus Americanus Skull is as advertised and is a Tomistomo Americana an extinct species and found in Northern Florida in a Lime Quarry.the restoration is about 25% and most of the skull close to 80% is intact.All the teeth and associated bones and scutes are original and associated,the lower jaw is intact and has very minimal restoration.I have this in my private collection for a number of years. Its very beautiful and very displayable.From what I know this is one of the most complete specimens of Tomistomo ever found...age is Miocene 10 million years. I can post more photos to anybody that is interested in seeing more pics to their email address.

Looks perty darn cool to me with restoration or no restoration. I would think that price would make the decision?

RB

Thank you ,glad you like t he specimen,Fossil was valued at 10.000$ ,I paid close to that.

Archived