Ohio 4/26 What kind of plant?

saysac

The way the veins radiate from the base of the stem, and there are no major veins, it resembles a Ginkgo.

Edited by tmaier

According to this website, :

"The earliest fossils assigned to the Ginkgoales come from the Permian, though some of these do not clearly belong in this group. Both Trichopitys and Polyspermophyllum, from the Lower Permian, have forking leaves and short, forking, ovule-bearing appendages that closely resemble features of Ginkgo. Both of these have been compared to other seed plant groups."

Sherry's fossils are from the Carboniferous,... so while this item may superficially resemble Ginkgo sp., something in the seed fern family is more likely.

From the wikipedia page on Ginkgo:

"The most plausible ancestral group for the order Ginkgoales is the Pteridospermatophyta, also known as the "seed ferns", specifically the order Peltaspermales. "

I think some research will need to be done to figure out what it is - unless one of our resident plant experts is familiar with the Carboniferous seed ferns that may match.

You may have an earlier occurrence of Ginkgo, or a completely new plant, or,... a piece of a plant that has been beat up, and damaged in some way as to make it unrecognizable. Cool, whatever it is.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You are always helpful Tim, and I thank you. It definitely does not look like the entire leaf, sad to say. I guess I am so spoiled by finding the entire leaf that just a piece makes things a bit more challenging.

Sherry

Sherry