An Oreodont

jpc

Hi all... I posted this one many months ago when I started working in it, but I can't find that post... I guess it is archived,and I have no idea how to find that. Anyway, here is the final product. Oreodont skeleton from the White River Formation.... eastern Wyoming.

post-1450-0-28867600-1461816830_thumb.jpg

post-1450-0-25563500-1461816829_thumb.jpg

and here it is in the box I made for it.

post-1450-0-90232500-1461816826_thumb.jpg

This is how it came to me...a bunch of pieces....

post-1450-0-20932000-1461816940_thumb.jpg

Oh no, look out, it's the spelling police. What's an "Oroedont" and "skelepon", JP? Lol ;)

Looks good!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

darn spelling police... I will fix the skeleton, but I do not know how to fix the topic title.

I did this piece for one of the landowners where I go for White River stuff... he collected it.

PS... thanks for calling me on that... I have been known to play grammar police on this forum, so it is only fair.

Fantastic!

Great job, JP!

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's a wonderful result. Will you post the approximate measurements of the piece? That might help me better conceptualize the appearance of the living creature.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Hi all... I posted this one many months ago when I started working in it, but I can't find that post... I guess it is archived,and I have no idea how to find that. Anyway, here is the final product. Oreodont skeleton from the White River Formation.... eastern Wyoming.

attachicon.gifP4272468b.jpg

attachicon.gifP4272467b.jpg

and here it is in the box I made for it.

attachicon.gifP4272465b.jpg

This is how it came to me...a bunch of pieces....

attachicon.gifIMGP1908b.jpg

Now if you don't to finish this up, as a good old boy will take it off your hands, free of cause, what else would a good old boy do. LOL

Looking good.

And love the ' Crown Royal ' bags. :)

Jeff

An oreo flavored donut?

I was thinking more along the lines of toothpaste :P

Fantastic prep job, JP! And the thing's aaaalmost articulated.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

It's a wonderful result. Will you post the approximate measurements of the piece? That might help me better conceptualize the appearance of the living creature.

The box is about 24 inches long. The skull is about 5 inches long. A small oreodont. Merycoidodon gracilis, I think.

That's a grate specymin. Well prepped and well displayed.

Nice wun.

Nick

Echoing the Great job comments! So, while it's in the box, are you planning on making a mold/cast of it? It would be a cool one to have for specimen study.

Again, great job! thanks for sharing after all the hard work.

M

Mitchell

Don't Sit Still - - You'll Fossilize! :P

Echoing the Great job comments! So, while it's in the box, are you planning on making a mold/cast of it? It would be a cool one to have for specimen study.

Again, great job! thanks for sharing after all the hard work.

M

Nah... I need a much better reason than that to mold something...as in someone better pay me for it or the fossil is truly unique. (For something as well known as an oreodont, full articulation, would be a plus). I will give this to its rightful owner and go find a better one. : )

Or maybe prep one of the better ones I have laying around, (he says all humble and such).

Molding is pretty expensive and time consuming and I would rather spend what little spare time I have actually finding and prepping fossils.

Very nice creodont skeleton. What species is it?

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Archived