Ryanisreallame

Any suggestions for areas to fossil hunt open to the public in the Surry area?

Ryanisreallame

I've pretty much done all my fossil hunting along the Potomac in Westmoreland County but have been looking to branch out. I've seen some people make some really nice finds in the Surry county area, but I have yet to find any resources stating lucrative areas to hunt that are also open to the public. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Fossildude19

Kayak or canoe may be the way to get to more inaccessible areas.

Productive spots change with the flow of the river and tides.

Look for gravel bars and shell beds.

Hopefully someone can steer you more directly, but there is really no substitute for getting out there, and finding your own spots.

As a famous man on the forum once said,... "To the motivated go the Spoils!"

Regards,

Ryanisreallame

Kayak or canoe may be the way to get to more inaccessible areas.

Productive spots change with the flow of the river and tides.

Look for gravel bars and shell beds.

Hopefully someone can steer you more directly, but there is really no substitute for getting out there, and finding your own spots.

As a famous man on the forum once said,... "To the motivated go the Spoils!"

Regards,

Oh absolutely, I'd love to find a less known spot, but at the same time I don't want to risk pissing off a private land owner. I've already gotten a $130 ticker for collecting from George Washington's Birthplace so I'd like to avoid any more cops/park rangers at all possible.

CrocodileJen

I've pretty much done all my fossil hunting along the Potomac in Westmoreland County but have been looking to branch out. I've seen some people make some really nice finds in the Surry county area, but I have yet to find any resources stating lucrative areas to hunt that are also open to the public. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

I can be of no help with the Surry thing, sory. But your post prompts me to ask~ where have you found good sites along the Potomac that are open to the public? I have extended family that lives near Westmoreland

SailingAlongToo
Ryanisreallame,

Go to Chippokes State Park off of Rt. 10 in Surry County and walk the beach. They had some major sloughage over the winter and the beach is littered with pectens and other shells. If you are lucky you may find an Ecphora or possibly some sharks teeth. Just remember, digging in the cliffs is NOT allowed at CSP.

You can also find fossils at York River State Park.

Either way, I would go sooner than later and try to catch low tide. The warmer the weather the more people camping and visiting the parks.

Good Luck.

SA2

Boneheadz

I hunt at Westmoreland frequently and I find great stuff all the time, you gotta know where to look. Also that stinks about GW's place, i walk that beach sometimes and i just act like I'm bird watching or something haha. Did you have tools with you like a shovel and screen? I really wish it wasn't federal land, if it was run by the state, I'm sure they'd allow collecting.

Boneheadz

Actually the other day i was eating at yesterdays restaurant in montross and my waitress told me that her friend recently found a meg at GW's and she posted it on Facebook. She said they called her friend and told her to return the meg. How crazy is that? Its a little creepy.

Auspex

The thing is, it's a National Monument, and those rules apply.

hokiehunter

That beach at GW's is an interesting spot. The fossil layer has almost no overburden on it as compared to just a mile or two down river when 100's of feet of overburden cover the layer. I've used it a few times as a kayak fishing launch.

Funny thing is I've seen an elderly couple there quite regularly and they "pick up glass". I've talked to them and they know the rules. They walk around and put the seas glass bits in a bucket (trash) but every now and then you'll see the old guy pick up something and slyly shove it in his pocket. Yes... they are there picking up "glass" as a public service... ha ha.

Also, not sure where the park boundary end's and begins there in terms of the water but my question would be if the park really has any jurisdiction over the water under the low tide mark. 50% of the park edge is always under water (cliff drops to river/shallow bottom) unless it's a huge blowout and on a clear day. I'm sure its good wade collecting there but I'm also sure the rangers there probably ticket first ask questions later. It'd be up to you and a lawyer/judge to figure it all out... definitely not worth it either way. Gotta say I've been tempted based on some things I've seen come out of there to bring a snorkle along and try looking but the fishing is pretty good around there too and doesn't get you tickets....