is this a large crinoid?

gw8706

GW,

My first toughts on this is that it would be an orthocone of a cephalopod like Orthoceras.

Dou you know the age of the deposits where this rock comes from?

• I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

I'm with Kevin - cast of an orthocone cephalopod , ... due to the tapering of the item towards the top of the piece.

Crinoids do not taper in that manner.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yeah, it's a straight shelled cephalopod. You can tell by the smooth taper, the septa showing at the far end (chambers of the cone), and the residual parts of the sheath of the shell wall. The shell wall is cracked away on the far end, exposing the segments of the septa, making it look like a crinoid, a bit.

cephalopod anatomy http://www.mcz.harvard.edu/Departments/InvertPaleo/Trenton/Intro/PaleoPage/Terminology&Morphology/Images/Nautiloiddiagram1.jpg

cool pictures of cephalopods in action http://www.google.com/search?q=straight+shelled+cephalopods&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1&tbm=isch

• I found this Informative 3