Another trace fossil question

Dill

Hi I posted earlier some newbie trace borings/tunnels fossil photos and got great info.

I have this other piece to share. I'd appreciate any input on what you think it might be. It's the same white material (dolostone?) but with a brown cherty line. I have found many of these bored rocks washed up on the same Maine beach.

The photos show both sides - one has bottom-filled borings (They are sealed at the bottom). The rock is in my palm. Thank you for all your expertise & any info you might have.

post-21071-0-76202800-1461939357_thumb.jpg

post-21071-0-50887500-1461939449_thumb.jpg

post-21071-0-66843300-1461939596_thumb.jpg

post-21071-0-26335200-1461939715_thumb.jpg

Hi I posted earlier some newbie trace borings/tunnels fossil photos and got great info.

I have this other piece to share. I'd appreciate any input on what you think it might be. It's the same white material (dolostone?) but with a brown cherty line. I have found many of these bored rocks washed up on the same Maine beach.

The photos show both sides - one has bottom-filled borings (They are sealed at the bottom). The rock is in my palm. Thank you for all your expertise & any info you might have.

Just wondering what's wrong with my post that no one answers.

Sometimes it takes a while for the right person to see the post, be patient and one of the experts should chime in eventualy.

Sorry that I can not help with this one.

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Sometimes it takes a while for the right person to see the post, be patient and one of the experts should chime in eventualy.

Sorry that I can not help with this one.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Didn't know if people thought I was crazy or my pictures are bad lol.

I think it's just a weathered sedimentary rock (natural erosion)

Not sure I understand but glad for the response. Pretty sure it's chert w a cortex or limestone w a chert line. Do you think part of the cortex got rubbed off and this is a chert stone? I'll post new pix. The borings are also part of my interest in relation to the brown line.

It's a tri-faced shape. Brown line on face #1 borings on face #2 and no marks on face #3. Hopefully these photos are helpful. I have more but it says they're too big to load.

post-21071-0-35677200-1462029021_thumb.jpg

post-21071-0-44398700-1462029066_thumb.jpg

Not sure I understand but glad for the response. Pretty sure it's chert w a cortex or limestone w a chert line. Do you think part of the cortex got rubbed off and this is a chert stone? I'll post new pix. The borings are also part of my interest in relation to the brown line.

Sorry...My English is very imperfect!

And for that I didn't understand very well what you were trying to identify in that rock.

Edited by Guguita2104

And for that I didn't understand very well what you were trying to identify in that rock.

You are doing fine - it's me who is confused :) Others had a discussion with me earlier about trace fossil tunnels being "filled in" and I thought it could be a filled trace fossil burrow given the two borings. Or maybe it's a fossil of a worm. Or maybe nothing.

What I would do if it was mine is that I would pick away the limestone/dolomite to expose more of the object, or extract it totally. It does seem to be "something", but the shape does not ring a bell.

any chance 08348 is due to a pebble rotating in a cavity though wave action?

Paramoudra,anyone?

Edited by doushantuo

What I would do if it was mine is that I would pick away the limestone/dolomite to expose more of the object, or extract it totally. It does seem to be "something", but the shape does not ring a bell.

Could it be a filled in worm tunnel given the two borings on the opposite side? I'll dig a bit, any suggestion on a tool? Screwdriver?

any chance it's leftover evidence of eolian erosion?

I found this in an area where lots of chert washes up. Not sure if it's native or ballast. I pick up everything that looks interesting....One piece has the same "rootbeer" color but not as defined as the piece discussed here. That second piece has no borings.

post-21071-0-17520700-1462038126_thumb.png

The holes are most likely from a boring clam and are recent additions to the rock,

Tony

I agree; piddock clams, likely.

post-423-0-94028400-1462039082_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The holes are most likely from a boring clam and are recent additions to the rock,

Tony

Thanks Tony. I did smash a similar one open (w/o brown) and this is what it looked like.

post-21071-0-56625500-1462039871_thumb.jpg

Sorry...My English is very imperfect!

No, you're english is good.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

No, you're english is good.

Oops your (not you're) it seems that your english is better than mine.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg