Grapevine Lake Texas area

Koldsimer

Went to a place that I had been a few years ago while scouting some kayak fishing spots. I remembered seeing some really interesting giant plates of what appeared to be sea floor... got some pictures this time and took home a nice sample! This area is just to the east of grapevine lake and it appears to be on the woodbine / eagle ford boundary. I would love to hear any input about this area and the things that I have found. I know very little about this terrain and what fossils it may hold. Thanks for checking it out!

First pics show some of the general terrain encountered in this area.

post-20789-0-87673400-1462037763_thumb.jpg

post-20789-0-11130300-1462037792_thumb.jpg

post-20789-0-86638100-1462037822_thumb.jpg

Edited by Koldsimer

some of the fossils. Only thing I had for size reference were car keys... sorry.

post-20789-0-25256000-1462038106_thumb.jpg

post-20789-0-95806100-1462038134_thumb.jpg

post-20789-0-90017100-1462038210_thumb.jpg

Edited by Koldsimer

Interesting rock that had a very unique texture. Similar to very course sandpaper. Any ideas what this is?

post-20789-0-15343500-1462038553_thumb.jpg

post-20789-0-66877700-1462038590_thumb.jpg

post-20789-0-36720100-1462038619_thumb.jpg

This was shaped like a perfect sink bowl. Flipped it over and found this friendly little guy!

post-20789-0-20563000-1462038734_thumb.jpg

post-20789-0-35612000-1462038758_thumb.jpg

post-20789-0-52915000-1462038791_thumb.jpg

Found this piece of wood that wasn't petrified but appears to be very old. Almost had a burned look to it. It was about 12 feet long but broken up in spots. Any ideas?

post-20789-0-98869500-1462038915_thumb.jpg

post-20789-0-82947400-1462038942_thumb.jpg

post-20789-0-81652100-1462038972_thumb.jpg

I guess it was a nice trip. I like the abundant turritellid - oyster ansambles. Good photos! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Those plates are very nice! And I absolutely love the rattlesnake!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Those plates are very nice! And I absolutely love the rattlesnake!

I don't think that is a Pit Viper.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Found this piece of wood that wasn't petrified but appears to be very old. Almost had a burned look to it. It was about 12 feet long but broken up in spots. Any ideas?

That is coalified wood. The Woodbine does have similar wood.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

some of the fossils. Only thing I had for size reference were car keys... sorry.

These are Turritella shells and oysters. These are not from the Eagleford Group. The oysters look sort of like the one that I have seen from the Woodbine.

Your Turitella might be Turritella schuleri which occur in the Woodbine. It also might be a Macrocerithium. See plates of below publication

P. S.

I just found this Fossil Forum link to a slab of Turritella from the Woodbine in your area: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/50456-turritella-death-plate/

Also look at plate 36 and 37 of this reference that shows Woodbine Turritellas and Macrocerithium: https://books.google.com/books?id=kOUqAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA154&lpg=PA154&dq=woodbine+turritella&source=bl&ots=zQLwInXxJX&sig=xYjYhChLUgw5quCvRd-zul3Sm08&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDp4Opg7jMAhVDyGMKHU3rBToQ6AEINzAF#v=onepage&q=%20turritella&f=false

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

DPS Ammonite is right. The Eagle Ford doesn't begin until you get closer to the DFW Airport. The sandpaper-looking formations are cross-bedded and bioturbated sandstones with crab feeding balls and burrows.

Your wood is carbonized into a form of coal.

It can some times be found with woody structure intact.

Most, that is found, was waterlogged during the primordial ages and sank to the bottom where

small creatures made themselves a home in the brackish backwaters.

During the construction of the DFW airport we sometimes ran into masses of this material in various stages of dilapidation.

Also found this material during the construction of Hwy 360, most was collected away years ago.

The Turritella plate is a biggun did you manage it home?

These "plates" often can be found with various species of creatures that once inhabited the area.

The strata where this "plate" washed from produces ammonite material from time to time as well.

BTW your creek looks very familiar.

You are not far from the site where a "bird" was discovered.

Poor snakey......

Jess B.

Your wood is carbonized into a form of coal.

It can some times be found with woody structure intact.

Most, that is found, was waterlogged during the primordial ages and sank to the bottom where

small creatures made themselves a home in the brackish backwaters.

During the construction of the DFW airport we sometimes ran into masses of this material in various stages of dilapidation.

Also found this material during the construction of Hwy 360, most was collected away years ago.

The Turritella plate is a biggun did you manage it home?

These "plates" often can be found with various species of creatures that once inhabited the area.

The strata where this "plate" washed from produces ammonite material from time to time as well.

BTW your creek looks very familiar.

You are not far from the site where a "bird" was discovered.

Poor snakey......

Jess B.

Wow! That is excellent information. The snake is fine btw... I love all animals and I am completely against harming things simply out of fear or ignorance. He was a beautiful little fella!

I didn't want to try to remove a portion of the larger plates because I was afraid it would just break and ruin the fossil for anybody else that wanted to see it. I did manage to find a nice loose chunk in the creek that was about 12"x4"x2" and had an excellent mix of the fossils. It found a new home!

DPS Ammonite is right. The Eagle Ford doesn't begin until you get closer to the DFW Airport. The sandpaper-looking formations are cross-bedded and bioturbated sandstones with crab feeding balls and burrows.

Thanks! I was very curious about these. I knew they were a fossil but had no idea what they could be.

These are Turritella shells and oysters. These are not from the Eagleford Group. The oysters look sort of like the one that I have seen from the Woodbine.

Your Turitella might be Turritella schuleri which occur in the Woodbine. It also might be a Macrocerithium. See plates of below publication

P. S.

I just found this Fossil Forum link to a slab of Turritella from the Woodbine in your area: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/50456-turritella-death-plate/

Also look at plate 36 and 37 of this reference that shows Woodbine Turritellas and Macrocerithium: https://books.google.com/books?id=kOUqAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA154&lpg=PA154&dq=woodbine+turritella&source=bl&ots=zQLwInXxJX&sig=xYjYhChLUgw5quCvRd-zul3Sm08&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDp4Opg7jMAhVDyGMKHU3rBToQ6AEINzAF#v=onepage&q=%20turritella&f=false

Incredible information. Thank you!

You're right! I'm not sure what he was but the colors and pattern were awesome. Definitely non-venomous. The pictures didn't do him justice! You never know what you're gonna find when you flip a rock over!

Edited by Koldsimer

Looks like a juvenile Blotched Water snake.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I never thought you could find fossils there. Those are some nice finds!