Hell Creek Tooth

Omnomosaurus

Hi all! New(and hopefully frequent) user here.

I was hoping someone could provide a definitive ID for this tooth. I've had it in my possession for a couple of years, after spotting it amongst a jumble of shark teeth, and can't for the life of me decide whether to outright call this a croc tooth or not? The only info that came with it was the locality - Hell Creek.

It has quite large serrations down one side (counted 11 per cm), with a heavily worn tip & large damage to one side. The top-down/bottom-up shape is quite rounded, but not completely circular (you can see for yourselves in the third & fourth pics.

Any help much appreciated! :)

post-21351-0-21325300-1462040141_thumb.jpgpost-21351-0-21268300-1462040275_thumb.jpg

post-21351-0-35352200-1462040564_thumb.jpg

post-21351-0-92929200-1462040662_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omnomosaurus

What I at first took to be a serrated carina appears to be a groove instead of a ridge;

post-423-0-18039400-1462040939_thumb.jpg

Is this so, or is it an illusion in the image?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What I at first took to be a serrated carina appears to be a groove instead of a ridge;

attachicon.gif~.jpg

Hello Auspex, i tried to find out a translation of what carina means but i didn't, could you please tell me what it is ?

I also see serrations, i also thought it was a ridge but i am stumped, maybe this is a groove.

Edited by fifbrindacier

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hello Auspex, i tried to find out a translation of what carina means but i didn't, could you please tell me what it is ?

On a tooth, it is a cutting edge.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

attachicon.gif~.jpg

Hi Auspex, thanks for the response. They are indeed serrations running down the front-facing side in that photo.

Here's another that hopefully looks a little clearer. The serrated edge is closest to the tape-measure, if you can make it out:

post-21351-0-93652800-1462042968_thumb.jpg

Hi Auspex, thanks for the response. They are indeed serrations running down the front-facing side in that photo.

Here's another that hopefully looks a little clearer. The serrated edge is closest to the tape-measure, if you can make it out:

attachicon.gifWP_20160430_18_56_51_Pro.jpg

post-423-0-58343300-1462043694_thumb.jpg

It is raised and not a groove; this is good, as otherwise I could not see it as a tooth.

Others are more knowledgeable about Hell Creek dinosaurs, and may be able to do better, but all I can say is "carnivorous dinosaur".

• I found this Informative 1

Definitely a theropod tooth fragment and being from the Hell Creek most likely a tyrannosaur. With a serration count of something around 1/mm and the size of the specimen would say T rex, nothing else would fit.

Edit: identifying teeth from Hell Creek

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/61069-identifying-theropod-teeth-from-the-hell-creeklance-fm/

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 2

attachicon.gif~.jpg

It is raised and not a groove; this is good, as otherwise I could not see it as a tooth.

Others are more knowledgeable about Hell Creek dinosaurs, and may be able to do better, but all I can say is "carnivorous dinosaur".

Well thank you very much for that Auspex; t'is very much appreciated. :) I've always hunted in nearby Carboniferous deposits here in the UK, so don't have too much experience identifying US dinosaur fossils.

Definitely a theropod tooth fragment and being from the Hell Creek most likely a tyrannosaur. With a serration count of something around 1/mm and the size of the specimen would say T rex, nothing else would fit.

Ah wow, thank you very much Troodon! That's made my day if it is, considering it was mixed in with a bunch of miscellaneous teeth.

EDIT: Thanks for the link too. That's a very comprehensive guide you've compiled there - will definitely be one I save for future reference. :)

Edited by Omnomosaurus

I agree with Troodon. Croc teeth do not have typically have serrations which makes this a theropod tooth and I agree this very well could be Tyrannosaur.

I agree with Troodon. Croc teeth do not have typically have serrations which makes this a theropod tooth and I agree this very well could be Tyrannosaur.

Is there any croc teeth with serrations?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Is there any croc teeth with serrations?

I haven't seen any with serrations but have seen some with ridges. I'm not an expert with crocodiles but usually a croc tooth is fatter and and has ridges like I said earlier.

There are Croc with serrations in other localities but not the Hell Creek. Teeth of Hamadasuchus rebouli from the Cretaceous of Morocco are finely serrated.

Edited by Troodon