Can this be a Belemnite?!

InsectariumPlus

So...may this be a Belemnite or I am completely in the wrong direction?!

Sorry about the bad photo quality.

post-20097-0-73844200-1462046657_thumb.jpg

post-20097-0-59261800-1462046670_thumb.jpg

post-20097-0-18734400-1462046683_thumb.jpg

Where was it found? Can you take a picture of something familiar (ruler, coin, etc.) next to your object to give it scale.

Location and age of deposit it came from are very important to get positive ID's on fossils.

not a Belemnite

not a Belemnite

not a Belemnite

not a Belemnite

Not sure of the exact location but the country is Macedonia. I'm sorry I don't have any info about the age deposit.

The structure in cross section does not look right for a belemnite.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

yeah, I agree with auspex. That white cross section is not at all belemnoid. They have very distinctive radiating crystal patterns on the inside.

Is the large round end also dark colored? Does a steel knife scratch the dark and light areas? The object almost looks like a broken piece of painted or glazed ceramic.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

yeah, I agree with auspex. That white cross section is not at all belemnoid. They have very distinctive radiating crystal patterns on the inside.

I concur.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The bullet shape is like of a belemnitid rostrum but the transverse section not reveals the radiating fibrous structure and the sometimes visible concentric rings. The radial pattern (prisms of calcite due to the mineralization process in time) and the concentric pattern (concentric rings due to the growth of the belemnite) have to be present. Here is a Belemnites rostrum in transverse section from my collection :

post-17588-0-81101600-1462092948_thumb.jpg post-17588-0-87541900-1462093590_thumb.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Strange...

I also don't think you have a belemnite there, but it seems very interesting.

Regards,

looks like the tip of a deer antler

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived