Costa Rica fossil shells- age?

Parthicus

While on vacation in Costa Rica in 2009, I spotted some fossil shells in situ and am hoping someone might know their age or formation. The site is called Playa Limoncito, on the Pacific coast of Puntarenas province a couple of miles south of Tarcoles. The tour guide was aware of the fossiliferous rocks along the beach, but he didn't know how old they were. The exact species are probably unidentifiable from the cross-sections, but I am hoping that someone might know what geological formation is exposed or the approximate age.post-21201-0-70711800-1462147293_thumb.jpgpost-21201-0-47869400-1462147305_thumb.jpg

Best bet is to see if there is a geological map of CR online. Or at your local college library.

So far, the most detailed information I've been able to find online indicates that the Playa Limoncito area rocks are "Deep-water sedimentary rocks (Cretaceous to Quaternary)- Limestone, sandstone, shale, and turbidite." I'd already guessed that the fossils looked Tertiary, so not much new information there. It turns out not every question can be instantly answered by doing a quick online search.

Archived