States with ivory laws or bans

Raggedy Man

http://www.aaps-journal.org/Fossil-Ivory-Legislation.html

Here is a list of the state's with some type of ivory ban. Many of the states include fossilized teeth and or tusks. A few only list the ban on "living or endangered species". This list also shows those states with laws still in house committee waiting for vote.

Best regards,

Paul

• I found this Informative 4

...I'm back.

Thanks for sharing Paul, I had no idea some states banned fossil ivory.

I'm sure this will cause prices to start going upwards.

I wonder if it is possible to take advantage of the exemption for "antiques" that are given in some of the laws?

There is an interesting link within the linked document that shows how to distinguish elephant from mammoth ivory. However, I wonder how practical that would be for smaller or carved pieces. The examples given are cross sections of tusk pieces. Also, some of the differences (such as color or fluorescence of mineral deposits) are stated to be quite variable depending on the specimen and source. Determining if a particular item is made of modern or fossil ivory may not be an easy task. Fossil ivory has been included in the laws because there are documented cases of dealers in elephant ivory labeling their wares as fossil ivory just to evade bans on trade in modern ivory.

Although it is easy to complain about politicians and stupid/lazy/misinformed laws, I place most of the blame on poachers/dealers/customers who place their own selfish wants ahead of the continued existence of some of the most remarkable species on the planet. It's depressing to think that there are so many people who are willing to push elephants, rhinos, and many other species to extinction just so they can have a trinket or mythical aphrodisiac.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 years later...

Illinois has passed a bill, Public Act 100-0857, short titled the Ivory Ban Act. It is supposed to take effect 1 January 2019. The definition of ivory includes any tooth containing ivory or tusk composed of ivory from elephant, mammoth, hippopotamus, whale, narwhal... The bill also addresses rhino horn, which is of less concern to fossil collectors. The AAPS website mentioned above has more information.

Bob

A set of laws banning the importation and commercial sale of all ivory (with limited exceptions) in the state of Illinois will go into effect in the new year. The laws are poorly written, vague and ambiguous, and are overly broad. These new laws could allow for a ban on the sale and importation of all teeth and tusks that contain dentin (including sharks and all mammals) "from any animal" both extant and extinct. This act goes beyond protecting living animals such as whales, elephants, hippos, walruses that deserve our protection. See Ivory Ban Act (Public Act 100-0857):  http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=100-0857

Here are the important parts: 

"Section 10. Prohibitions.
    (a) In addition to the prohibitions under any other law, it 
shall be unlawful for any person to import, sell, offer for 
sale, purchase, barter, or possess with intent to sell, any 
ivory, ivory product, rhinoceros horn, or rhinoceros horn 

product, except as provided by this Act."

and

"Section 5. Definitions. As used in this Act:
    Ivory" means any tooth or tusk composed of ivory from any 

animal..."

The first thing that I noticed was the poorly written and vague definition of ivory. Ivory is never really defined properly. It mentions that ivory is contained in teeth and tusks from

any animal. Ivory is defined as ivory which involves a little circular reasoning. Not defining ivory allows the state to sellect among many nuanced definitions in order to suit their purpose. 

Wikipedia, which is a common souce for word definitions, defines ivory as teeth and tusks of animals that contain dentin and can be used in art. See: link  Most vertebrate teeth and tusks contain dentin including mammals, fish and sharks. Almost every tooth and tusk can be included in a piece of art including bracelets, necklaces, jewelry, sculptures mammoth tooth knife handles etc. Thus, this act could ban the sale and importation of nearly every animal tooth and tusk. 

The act needs to be rewritten to include a better and more specific definition of ivory, and to apply the laws to a narrowly defined group of extant animals that need protection. All animals including extinct ones such as mammoths do not need protection.

If the intent is only to protect a group of living  animals then do not enact these laws; rewrite them. If the intent, on purpose or by accident, is to ban the sale and importation of nearly all teeth and tusks of extant and extinct animals then let everyone know about this and give the people a chance to appose these laws.

Everyone, let the lawmakers know that you appose this act because it is poorly written and could be used to ban nearly all teeth and tusks. Tell the local dealers, paleontology, geology, rock and mineral societies about this. 

Your state could be next!

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

@DPS Ammonite

(Merged your topic with previous mention of this law.)  ;) 

Discussion and analysis of "news" is common.  These posts will show up in all but the most narrow of selected Unread Content, so it should be fine in this sub forum.  No need to have discussions on the same topic in two places on the Forum.  ;) 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ