Another Mazon Creek Collection

TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory

On 1/15/2020 at 5:50 PM, deutscheben said:

That second Tully is also quite nice! Thank you for sharing more of your finds. 

Thank you, I've considered parting with that tully as i prefer not to keep duplicates, but have been too busy to actively sell or trade it. 

I only have one box of concretions left freezing and dont think I'll be able to hunt for a second season in a row, so its a good time to catch up on photographing and sharing them.

Here is a cropped/closer picture of the Orthocanthus tooth from earlierOrthocanthus.thumb.jpg.a0e1404f45b2e9da4963be40a400cb5c.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

16 minutes ago, TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory said:

This is the same picture cropped to see it closer.  Can't set up pictures well right now.Fish2.jpg.a0f3b2b39948e4b63acf9e9f77f34761.jpg

Hm, not sure I see a fish. Well I do see a fish-like shape but I'm not convinced it's a fossil.

I'll readily admit that I often have trouble seeing Mazon Creek fossils.  That being said, I also do not see a fish.  Can you try lighting from a different angle to bring out the details better?  Thanks!

Don

22 hours ago, connorp said:

Hm, not sure I see a fish. Well I do see a fish-like shape but I'm not convinced it's a fossil.

I would agree. I do not see anything indicating a fossil let alone a fish.

What structures are you seeing that you are basing your identification on?

22 hours ago, TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory said:

Here is a cropped/closer picture of the Orthocanthus tooth from earlierOrthocanthus.thumb.jpg.a0e1404f45b2e9da4963be40a400cb5c.jpg

Not sure that this is. Tooth.

Can  you post a few additional pictures?

Next are a couple of colored Annularia species

I like how this one preserved in 3 different colors, making it look a little like fireworks.

5e2efeb235a0a_Annularia4.jpg.ec73609bfd266de18c43c99a26c770b2.jpg5e2efee9068da_Annularia3.thumb.jpg.202589d70bc053d4c86f974b49b44c1a.jpg

This is a Belotelson preserved in a dorsal view.  

Side note, someone else found this concretion before I did, cracked it with a hammer and it broke on a plane where the fossil did not exist and dumped it for me to almost discard but freeze/thaw anyway.

5e2effc8f094b_Belotelson2.jpg.9a400dd7edc46a93b58f6c8ea24f9f6a.jpg

On 1/20/2020 at 1:49 PM, RCFossils said:

I'll add my agreement to this. Not seeing anything consistent with that being a vertebrate.

On 1/20/2020 at 2:49 PM, RCFossils said:

I have to apologize for an over confident response.  I was just rubbed the wrong way at how some of the doubt was worded.

At best it's very poorly preserved.  I was looking at a "head" with mouth and eye, and potential "tail" or "fin" at the back.  The middle of the specimen not being preserved right, or the concretion not splitting right.  

This was from my first trip, and I used the "put your bucket outside all winter freeze thaw method"  this separated the halves of several nodules including this one, and I was never able to recover the other side of the concretion.  Never using that technique again.5e3071a79e876_possiblefishstructures2.thumb.jpg.0d6cb6391321b7262ac7a8a582469efc.jpg5e3071a8a3293_possiblefishstructures.thumb.jpg.82d9038f65d69a38fdd07f9759435869.jpg

On 1/20/2020 at 2:51 PM, RCFossils said:

Not sure that this is. Tooth.

Can  you post a few additional pictures?

I'll try to photograph this one and the negative side to it again.

It looks better when wet, but then I end up with glare problems.  Any tips on cleaning/drying a concretion so that the material doesn't settle back onto it?