Trilobite clean/prep?

ElToro

This Coronocephalus trilobite arrived in the mail today. I quite like it! However, it seems to be more or less unprepped and appears quite dirty. Anyone have any idea how I could clean it up? I havnt got an air scribe yet so won't be doing any rock removal but I'm sure I could get it looking a little nicer. There is a lot of dried mud in the cracks and such. I have little experience with trilobites as I've only become interested in them recently, and don't want to damage the fossil. Any advice guys?

post-20038-0-06134900-1462774751_thumb.jpg

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

I have no idea how to help, but it is a fantastic trilobite! Where is this trilobite from, locality wise?

I have no idea how to help, but it is a fantastic trilobite! Where is this trilobite from, locality wise?

Thanx mate!

Its from Hunan, China. I wonder if there is any more of the head hidden under that matrix. When I look at it real close I can see that I can definitely remove some rock, but I havnt got an air scribe yet. I'm working on acquiring one.

- Indiana Jones

A mate of mine in Taiwan is sending me one from there. Apparently they are as good as the US brands but only a fraction of the price. Another mate who runs an auto shop here is selling me his old air compressor for $50, so I'll have a decent set up real cheap! ;) But, due to a crashed motorcycle it will be a few weeks til I can afford it...

- Indiana Jones

Aww man what did ya do?

Good deal on hte Compressor too!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Hahaha! My motorcycle melted in the last heat wave a couple months ago. Chinese manufacturer used low quality welding equipment I rekon. The frame literally disintegrated on me.

I'm recovering from shoulder surgery so can't ride or drive now anyway, so its no big deal. I'll keep my eyes open for a cheap car this time. Can't carry all my fossil hunting gear on a bike!

- Indiana Jones

I had a Pajero for a few years, probably my favourite i've owned in my driving life. 1992 it was made. You can pick up Pajero's cheap. Auto or manual, petrol or diesel, 4x4.

Mine was heavy on fuel though.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Yea, I'll get something that has a wrecked exterior but a fine motor. The sort of car that gets written off due to body damage. I don't care about body damage! A to B is all I need...My local fossil sites are accessible by road and I've hired cars before to go there. Last time I got a rental Suzuki Swift and it was fine!

- Indiana Jones

Hi some of the tools that I use in detail prep are dentist picks see the image attached you will need to do the prep with a magnifying glass of some sort and don't rush it.

See the attached image

Regards

Mike

post-15295-0-49237400-1462787866_thumb.png

• I found this Informative 1

Hi some of the tools that I use in detail prep are dentist picks see the image attached you will need to do the prep with a magnifying glass of some sort and don't rush it.See the attached imageRegardsMike

Thanx mate. There is a bit of mud caked onto the fossil so I'll use my electric toothbrush for that, but the matrix is SO hard, I think I need power tools. I normally use a sewing machine needle clamped into a hand drill but that barely scratches this matrix...

- Indiana Jones

most of it looks like it just needs cleaning with a tooth brush, water , and a little dish soap. The only place I would scribe is around the top of the head that is still under rock.

most of it looks like it just needs cleaning with a tooth brush, water , and a little dish soap. The only place I would scribe is around the top of the head that is still under rock.

Yea, that's exactly what I was thinking. Only use the air tools around the head and a couple of small spots on the body. They look so tempting, I just wanna pick them off! But the rock is too hard, I'll just damage it.

- Indiana Jones

Try to scribe away from the fossil, as much as possible - give the cephalic margin a wide berth.

Be patient, and take your time.

Good luck with the prepping. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Another tip for finishing this is make sure you study other full preps of this trilobite. This will give you a general idea on where structures are.

Michaelangelo said the sculpture was there from the beginning, he just removed the bits and pieces that covered it.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.