3eds2w

Hi everyone - This is my first time posting. My girlfriend and I are coming down to Summerville, SC to look for megalodon teeth. Does anyone know of any good locations that they would be willing to share? If not, does anyone know if the teeth are found "evenly" throughout the Hawthorn Formation? In other words, are there parts of the Hawthorn Formation that have many teeth compared to parts that do not have any? Sorry for any silly questions!. I'm a geologist but do not know much about this area. Thanks! Pete

Welcome to the forum, I can't help you with your question but you are in the right place to get the info you need

Good hunting

Regards

Mike

Welcome to the forum from New York!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Welcome aboard :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

welcome to TFF I have read there is some good hunting there

Hi Pete.... I have been bottom of the river hunting in the area for 20yrs. I started hunting the creeks a few years ago. This year we found some nice megs and angustidens in a Ladson creek. I swore I

would keep the location of that one a secret. Ladson is next to Summerville SC. As long as you stay about 20 miles inland you are in a good territory for finding teeth. Look for deep cut old creeks

with formation exposed on the walls. Be prepared to walk the creek until you find gravel beds. The battle we have in the creeks is to find a location where it is not sanded-in. When you did in the sand,

the flowing water immediately fills the hole back up. Its just best to walk until you happen upon a gravel bed. A drone mounted

camera would be a great tool to use. Ha Ha. I will send you over a map to get you started.

Edited by Lee Taylor

There is a father son team on YouTube that dive for sharks teeth. Google them. They find amazing stuff. Might help point you and give you more info on where to look.

There is a father son team on YouTube that dive for sharks teeth. Google them. They find amazing stuff. Might help point you and give you more info on where to look.

Referring to black river fossils? Good stuff but no specific locations are revealed. ;)

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone - Thanks for all the tips! Here is a photo of everything that we found. I was amazed by the diversity of fossils. Some interesting finds included a parrot fish beak, a string ray barb, and some vertebrate bones. I have attached a photo of everything (see water bottle for reference).

post-18831-0-59412000-1464826462_thumb.jpg

Could you point out the parrot fish beak?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Glad y'all were able to find such a wide spread of items! :)

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Looks like you had a good time, congrats!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

• 2 years later...

I have always wanted to hunt fossils, especially shark teeth. I am new to this and see that Summerville is a great location for this. I can’t find any information about specific sites for Megalodon teeth. I want to plan a trip and get a guide or meet up with good people for a several day hunt. I don’t know how to do this and am looking for help. 

2 hours ago, Jay30777 said:

I have always wanted to hunt fossils, especially shark teeth. I am new to this and see that Summerville is a great location for this. I can’t find any information about specific sites for Megalodon teeth. I want to plan a trip and get a guide or meet up with good people for a several day hunt. I don’t know how to do this and am looking for help. 

Welcome to TFF!

The best way to get some help with Your quest would be to start Your own thread. This is an old thread and may go unnoticed.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 hours ago, Jay30777 said:

You can contact Ashby Gale at Charleston Fossil Adventures. He's got tours on the beach or by kayak further inland (my recommendation). Good luck!

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

3 hours ago, reddesilets said:

You can contact Ashby Gale at Charleston Fossil Adventures. He's got tours on the beach or by kayak further inland (my recommendation). Good luck!

I would second that .... also Low Country Fossil Excursions is also an operation that has potential for meg teeth ... Angustidens are cooler anyway ...

Cheers,

Brett

10 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Angustidens are cooler anyway ...

Love them! Hemis are my fav though :D

• I found this Informative 1

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

3 hours ago, reddesilets said:

Love them! Hemis are my fav though :D

Hemi vs Angy .... epic battles ensue !

giphy.gif

:hearty-laugh:  IDK, I have plenty of both... I have more Hemis and their colors vary more... but I don't have any hemis over 2", but I do have such an Angy... guess it'd be a draw in the end. :P 

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

1 hour ago, reddesilets said:

:hearty-laugh:  IDK, I have plenty of both... I have more Hemis and their colors vary more... but I don't have any hemis over 2", but I do have such an Angy... guess it'd be a draw in the end. :P 

If I found a two inch hemi I would jump for joy. They're such cool teeth, right? 

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

15 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

If I found a two inch hemi I would jump for joy. They're such cool teeth, right? 

I think someone found a huge one like over an inch recently? I could totally be remembering that wrong though.... I think I have a tiger shark tooth that is about an inch long... 

But yeah, hemis are so great for their interesting pattern of serrations and the variety they come in depending on where they were in the jaw...

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Yup, it was 1.75" hemi, so almost 2". O.o wowza

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

And found another post by someone that found a 2" hemi... so yeah, they are out there!

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Oh, duh... that was @Brett Breakin' Rocks 1.75" hemi LOL

I'm such a dork sometimes! LOL

• I found this Informative 1

— Henry Fairfield Osborn