I_gotta_rock

C&D Canal refreshed!

I_gotta_rock

Hello to any Delaware lurkers! I heard last week that there is new bulldozer activity at Reedy Point North, so went investigating this morning. The weeds are cleared, as is some of the sand. Don't know how far down they are going, but a quick, 30minute loop revealed that there are now plenty of fresh belemnites, exogyras and pycnodontes to be had. I may even have found a new bivalve to add to my 12-year-old collection from that site, but the jury is still out.

post-18129-0-66371800-1462818932_thumb.jpgpost-18129-0-14761600-1462818944_thumb.jpg

Edited by I_gotta_rock

Plax

am missing C&D! Any new dredge spoils or just moving dirt around?

drobare

I was coming back from upper NJ yesterday and stopped at the Canal. I haven't been in a few years and they have changed everything.

On the north side they have made the road into a paved bike lane. I walked in and couldn't even find the dredge piles that used to be near the bridge. Looked like they spread them around.

So then I tried the south side of the bridge, because there used to be piles down at the end near the main water, but they have a locked gate up near the bridge.

So sad.. I was upset...

Anybody have any experiences there lately?

I_gotta_rock

Unfortunately, the new dredge is going to an island in the middle of the Delaware River to which I cannot seem to gain access. Tried through Delaware Nature Society, but so far no luck. The sand has been getting stripped away for years, a couple feet at a time. This is just the latest round of sand removal. The site across the canal is totally stripped of anything of interest at this point, though it is open to explore.

The paved areas of the road are further west than this site, so if you are looking over there, you need to head east to Ready Point Bridge off of Rt 9. Most of the sites to the west disappeared under vegetation years ago.

If anyone is interested, I am leading a trip to this spot for Delaware Nature Society on October 9th. Keep an eye one www.delnature.org for details.

I_gotta_rock

Here's a map.

post-18129-0-45751800-1469916355_thumb.png

Edited by I_gotta_rock

drobare

I might be interested in the trip.. But I couldn't find the area you show on the map. Everywhere I went the sand piles were cleared and covered with vegetation. Also, This map is extremely out of date, as they have built a parking lot on the NW side of the bridge and turned the main road into a bicycle trail.

I looked for many hours to find an up-to-date satellite image with no luck. Maybe I didn't go where I thought I was going, but I aimed right for the red arrow... I wasn't using the GPS that day though so maybe I aimed wrong...

I_gotta_rock

Hmmm. Maybe I'd better go out there tomorrow! It looked like this last month! and the Army Corps Of Engineers, who owns the land, didn't bother to mention paving when I called them about the trip, either!

Edited by I_gotta_rock

drobare

Let me know! Maybe I went to the wrong bridge.. but I was pretty sure it was the spot I went to years ago.

Maybe I am going insane... It is possible..

I just turned 49 and the dementia is starting to settle in nicely... :-)

lol.

I_gotta_rock

Oh, man! You were SOOOOOO close!

I had to dig to find the new trail head, which has been open for a couple of years. There are two "canal bridges" in Delaware City. One is a few feet long and there is a spilt off to the right for the paved bike trail. It crosses the little branch canal that runs through Delaware City to the DE City Marina (relatively little boats). Then, right after that bridge is the Reedy Point Bridge, which is more like a mile long and can bee seen for miles around and crosses the big C&D Canal, build for big barges. This second bridge has a gravel road off to the right that parallels the Reedy Point bridge until it reaches the water, then ends in a T, where you can go UNDER the Reedy Point Bridge.

If you want a tour guide this fall, here's a link to Delaware Nature Society's field trip: https://www.delawarenaturesociety.org/DNS/Events/Registration/Event_Display.aspx?EventKey=F16065AS#.V6D7fVdF9ug

post-18129-0-03962500-1470167698_thumb.jpg