KFof

I'm having difficulty identifying this specimen. I found it in Osagean, probably Visean limestone in Lawrence County, Missouri, associated with various other monoplacophorans, which I believe to be kirengellids or something similar. The last picture is an example of an associated fossil of a similar size, being about 3.2cm from foot to apex. I also found in the same piece of stone a smaller, more rounded specimen, as well as fragments of a third.

Stinchcomb and Angeli describe two species that share some characteristics with the fossil in question[1]. Kirengella oregonensis, which is found in cherts from the Roubidoux Formation (Lower Ordovician) in Oregon County, Missouri, is described as "strongly laterally compressed" with "aperture oval" (p. 971). And a new species, Wildernessia inexpecatans, from the same area, is described as having "apical curvature; aperture sub-elliptical forming cone; apex centrally located" (p. 973). Neither of these, of course, is what I have, since I am pretty certain my object came from a nearby quarry and is therefore Visean. But could it be another, later type of Kirengellid?

1. Stinchcomb, B. L., & Angeli, N. A.. (2002). New Cambrian and Lower Ordovician Monoplacophorans from the Ozark Uplift, Missouri. Journal of Paleontology, 76(6), 965–974. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/1307116

post-21371-0-32284900-1462989508_thumb.jpg

post-21371-0-31485400-1462989514_thumb.jpg

post-21371-0-32733700-1462989517_thumb.jpg

post-21371-0-17271500-1462989520_thumb.jpg

post-21371-0-86119900-1462990138_thumb.jpg

Try Peel and/or Yochelson and/or Pojeta

(question:Jstor,not Bioone?Hope you didn't pay for that one).

Edited by doushantuo

If you are in the St. Louis area, you should bring it to the Eastern Missouri Society for Paleontology meeting this Friday at Washington University. More than likely Bruce Stinchcomb will be there. He'd love to see that.

doushantuo, don't worry, I didn't pay on jstor. Thanks for the advice! I'm new to researching this sort of stuff. My background is in electrical engineering.

Second on Dr. Bruce Stinchcomb. I will try to drop him a note about this thread.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen