Need help identifying Dinosaur bones

clarevoiyant

Help identifying this cretaceous aged bones found in Hell creek formation, Montana, USA. These were found with other bone fragments that are far too eroded by weather - those look like spapulas based on the thiness - (as it was sticking out of the ground) to put back together properly. This bone however could be put back fairly decently with putty and some paint. I have a few pieces of bones I bought off an amateur fossil hunter. The rest are badly weathered and seem to resemble ribs. They come from a ranch in Montana, and found in the Hell Creek Formation. I've asked around but no one could give me a positive ID on the bone. I've tried contacting my local natural history museum but to no avail since they don't have a paleontology department

post-20682-0-24987700-1463034094_thumb.jpg

post-20682-0-16425900-1463034361_thumb.jpg

post-20682-0-61913800-1463034367_thumb.jpg

Positive ID's on an isolated bone fragment is pure guess work. Looks like a large leg bone from a herbivore. The two candidates would be either a ceratopsian or hadrosaur. I would lean more toward it being a hadrosaur.

As Troodon mentions no real way of knowing when identifying an isolated specimen. You'd need something to compare it to...the subtle curves, the texture, bone end, etc.

Dino bones are often found in groupings as a lot of preservation was via floods. So an isolated bone can be identified by one nearby that is more diagnostic. In contrast, Dino teeth are more often found isolated in a mishmash of other vertebrate material from crocs, turtles, etc.