Very rare Association with complete Ceraurus

Malcolmt

Here is an extremely rare association of a pretty much complete Ceraurus globulobatus trilobite and a ventral partial amecystite echinoderm from the Verulam formation of the Brechin area in Ontario , Canada. Over the next month or so I will be taking a number of forum members and clubs to this area to hunt. Hopefully there will be some nice finds that we can share.

This specimen was found by splitting rock at the end of April 2016. We tend to find the best specimens at this locality by splitting rock. the shaley limestone does not weather well once exposed to the elements.The preservation observed is quite typical of the ceraurus from this locality. The exoskeleton is extremely thin and flakey. The preparation was done mostly with very low pressure (8-10 PSI) 320 mesh dolomite . Prep time was about 5 hours over quite a number of days. Some dilute vinac was used to help consolidate the exoskeleton which was just screaming to want to flake off. This is the only time I have ever found an amecystite associated with a complete ceraurus. They are both rare finds in their own right.

post-4886-0-33480500-1463162439_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malcolmt
  • I found this Informative 1

Here is the amecystite, (ventral view, it is upside down)

post-4886-0-45218200-1463162554_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malcolmt

Wow! Very cool association, Malcolm! :wub:

Thanks for posting it.

Excellent prep, as usual.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow, those are some awesome specimens, and together on the same piece, truly awesome. Congratulations Malcolm on the find and the exisite prep job. Thanks for posting.

Would love to be on one of those trips. Pretty low psi but I guess the matrix could handle it. The dolomite worked great!

Congrats....That is a wonderful specimen. I have yet to do some trilobite funding ...seeing your find makes me want to jump into my car and head north.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Unfortunately did not take one , when you get right down to it I am not a real photography aficionado so I tend to take way to few pictures. Since I won a FOTM in the past I have tended not to enter even when I have a pretty decent plate.

Extremely impressive. What abrasive unit are you using for this fine work? Glad to see all of these finds from Ontario, thanks for sharing it!

mark

The abrasive unit is a COMCO MB1000 using a combination of COMCO .015, .018 and .030 high precision abrasive nozzles and dolomite that passes through a 325 mesh screen. (extremely fine like talc). All prep is done under a Olympus Stereo zoom scope.

Very nice specimen! I am curious, what is the size of that?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

The ceraurus is 38mm long (tip to end of tail) by 21.5 mm in width