Going To The Red Hill PA Site Next Weekend, Need Any Advise You Can Give

njfossilhunter

I'm so excited about going to the Red Hill Fossil site in PA with DVPS club and would like some or any advice on collecting there. This is my first time at Red Hill and I did find somethings about the site online but nothing about on how to collect ,,where to look or what to bring with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post pictures of my finds .. :fingers crossed: ....

if any.

Thank You

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Very exciting Tony!

It is an awesome site. I would recommend looking at as many fossils as possible

From the site. It can be tricky to see some of the fossils in the red matrix.

if I remember correctly you don't want to look down from the better layers.

The DVPS had an excellent relationship Red Hill so you should be in great hands.

Good luck and looking forward to your posts.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Red Hill is an amazing site, but the fossils take some work to get at. Most of the shale is extremely fissile and prone to splitting right through great fossils. You're going to need a good rock hammer and chisel or two, and plenty of glue. And when you get there, be careful - it is a very steep roadcut, and it's easy to slide down the slope. Look carefully at the rock face - many of the fossils are blueish-white bones or fish armor plates, and they stand out well from the red rock.

I wish I could come... Man, I gotta join a fossil club somewhere.

:envy:

Stephen

Glad to hear you're going to Red Hill, Tony. Make sure you bring a hard hat- it is required there. I have heard and seen that the best fossils are found by removing large slabs, but removing large slabs from that wall can be extremely difficult. Other members there hopefully will help you and give some tips. A pry bar is another tool which may prove helpful. You are very likely to find some fish scales, armored plates, pieces of fish spines, and impressions of plant twigs. I hope you get lucky and score a complete Gyrocanthus spine and/or Hyneria tooth. Best wishes.

Thank you for the helps guys. Its going to be a interesting fossil trip. Just the idea of finding a armor headed girder is worth the time and effort.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

• 2 weeks later...

So Tony,

How did you make out with this trip?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I havent been there since I was in Upper Perkiomen Middle School. Please keep us updated. Would love to go there sometime.

Edited by exasperatus2002

It is one of my dreams to go out there and collect hyneria teeth. My only advise is that if you find one, contact me so I can give you my mailing address