Paleontologists

Gatorman

We've had a few members ask what members on the forum are paleontologists, are you one? Do you know any? Will you be one one day? Do you work in the field along side paleontologists if so what do you do?

I would also at this time ask that if you know any paleontologists invite em over and ask em to post some of their work. Show some of their research and photos of fossils in the field. I know that most paleontologist spend most of their time at the museum or institute they work for sorting and labeling and preparing and studying their finds. So show some of the behind the scenes pics lest see some skulls and teeth your working on.

There are at a minimum a few of us degreed Geologists on the forum. SilverPhoenix is a geo/paleo student at TX A&M, too. Of course in TX most of us are trained to dig holes in the ground... long, round and deep ones. ;)

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

There are at a minimum a few of us degreed Geologists on the forum. SilverPhoenix is a geo/paleo student at TX A&M, too. Of course in TX most of us are trained to dig holes in the ground... long, round and deep ones. ;)

So true, we all rock though! :P

Well... I'm a master's student, technically in geology, but my career and research is focused on paleontology. My master's thesis is on the preservation (taphonomy) of marine vertebrate fossils in the Purisima Formation of Central CA, and trends in preservation as they relate to depositional environment (end hence water depth).

I've also been working a lot on fossil marine mammals from the late Neogene of California and Oregon, primarily material from the Purisima Formation, but also some incredible fossils that our very own RJB discovered and was kind enough to donate so that I could study it, and some Pleistocene marine mammal material from Humboldt Co., CA, and SW Oregon.

Some groups I'm currently studying are herpetocetine baleen whales, phocoenid odontocetes (true porpoises), otariid pinnipeds (sea lions and fur seals) and dusignathine walruses ('double tusked' walruses).

Here's my personal webpage: http://sites.google.com/site/boessepaleo/Home

Bobby

Excellent website! Looks like what your doing is kinda dangerous.