Crazy nodule, man-made, or fossil?

icycatelf

I found this "crazy miniature vase" in the creek gravel today and was wondering what it might be. The big thing in the middle just looks like a regular nodule to me, but the black thing hugging it looks bizarre. The black thing branches out into two hollow tubes. A magnet doesn't stick to it. The whole piece measures 4.5cm tall (black piece is about 2.5cm).

The last attachment is another one of today's finds and I was wondering if it might be Lepidodendron. I see an interlocking diamond-teardrop pattern, though it's not super distinct. I also see some small "feeding eyes," making me lean toward Stigmaria. Area shown is about 9cm long.

post-19850-0-38139900-1463353942_thumb.jpg

post-19850-0-86065200-1463353943_thumb.jpg

post-19850-0-16124400-1463353945_thumb.jpg

post-19850-0-28546100-1463353946_thumb.jpg

post-19850-0-65472200-1463353947_thumb.jpg

post-19850-0-75133700-1463353948_thumb.jpg

post-19850-0-18530500-1463353950_thumb.jpg

post-19850-0-57747700-1463354503_thumb.jpg

Edited by icycatelf

Casual surface-collector and Pokémon fan. QPn3FY1.gif

It is a natural limonite-hemitite concretion that likely is the result of the weathering of a pyrite nodule. Such concretions are often called "Indian paint pots."

Edited by Oxytropidoceras
  • I found this Informative 4

It's a trap!

attachicon.giftrap.jpg

LOL!

It is a natural limonite-hemitite concretion that likely is the result of the weathering of a pyrite nodule. Such concretions are often called "Indian paint pots."

I had a feeling it was something along those lines. Pretty interesting, though.

Edited by icycatelf

The second on could be a portion of Stigmaria of a lycopsid like Lepidodendron.

post-17588-0-14746100-1463512070_thumb.jpg

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The second on could be a portion of Stigmaria of a lycopsid like Lepidodendron.

attachicon.gif2012-03-09-stigmaria.jpg

I have a feeling you're right. Seems like most of the fossils I find in that area's slate are Stigmaria. I've found several (at least 7) pieces, but I've yet to find any lycopsid bark.

Question: I've seen people label the local tree-like plant fossils (Calamites, Artisia, Stigmaria) as "petrified wood," but would that term be correct? I feel that "petrified" is reserved for crystallized wood in which the rings have been preserved. I know that Calamites can be petrified in this way, but I've seen listings on eBay that define regular Calamites pith casts as petrified wood. (To my knowledge, a pith cast isn't wood at all, just sediment that filled a hollow chamber, forming a cast of the internal structure.) I think that petrified wood is always a wood fossil, but a wood fossil isn't always petrified wood.

I feel a little different about Stigmaria, however. While my pieces still aren't crystallized, I do see thin "tubes" going through the (broken) sides, making me think they're more than just casts or imprints. They also have a slightly waxy look. Would this be considered "petrified wood" or...?

I don't really mind either way, but I'm mostly checking for my mom who likes throwing the term around.

Edited by icycatelf

You are right in what you say.
Calamites, Artisia, Stigmaria are form taxa of casts of tree - like vascular plants, they are not considered trees, so I think the usage of the term "petrified wood" for these is improper. Usually the term describes a tree or tree - like plant stem/trunk which is passing through a permineralization process, when all the organic materials are replaced with minerals.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library