My 1st Trilobite...Is It Real ?

Any and all opinions most welcome...From what I've read I believe (hope) it is indeed real...and in pretty good shape...

I have to think this Little Monster was there for a reason...And What A Fine Grand Face...I'm still amazed that this

little guy is probably the better part of 350myo...So...after "A Long Strange Trip" it's got a new home...

post-21450-0-83298100-1463355172_thumb.jpg post-21450-0-45974300-1463355199_thumb.jpg

post-21450-0-95260800-1463355255_thumb.jpg post-21450-0-33026800-1463355285_thumb.jpg

Thanks Much for taking a look see...I do hope it's real...2" Long "Coltraenia"...I think I got the name right...?

Best Regards...Trig :D That's "Coltraneia"...please see below...

Nice trilo you got there. Hope you enjoy it.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That would be Coltraneia*,an asteropygid .Does anyone know if that species is named after John Coltrane(of Giant Steps fame)?

*Supernumerary pygidial rings ,axial constriction between 6th and 7th pleural furrow,eyes with 12 lenses per file

Yes, it is named for John Coltrane...I read it in the paper that first describes the genus. That is a nice looking Coltraneia...probably oufatenensis.

---Prem

That would be Coltraneia*,an asteropygid .Does anyone know it that species is named after John Coltrane(of Giant Steps fame)?

*Supernumerary pygidial rings ,axial constriction between 6th and 7th pleural furrow,eyes with 12 lenses per file

Well...Well...Well...I do believe my Finely Honed Rough Jagged Edge just got a bit shinier...

I'm rather fond of the Mad Hatter & The March Hare...If I see a good looking "Rabbit Hole" I'm bound to jump in...

And I do note you did give me Fair Warning in a previous post...but my knowledge on the subject is so limited...

I just couldn't resist the opportunity to learn...

For others who might be curious...Here's your "Fair Warning"...Ya' better polish up the Ol' Goggles...

http://www.academia.edu/14061681/The_systematics_and_phylogeny_of_the_Devonian_subfamily_Asteropyginae_Trilobita_Phacopida_

I think my fascination with Fractal Images is easier on the eyes...It's always hard to resist just one more iteration...

Another wonderful destination in my Fractal Ammonite Universe...Trig :wacko:

post-21450-0-70510200-1463400828_thumb.png

I originally stopped in to say "Thank You"...for your confirmations and comments...easily distracted...I think I did AOK...

And it was a Fair...Reasonable...Price...I rather like my New Little Monster...Should be home by Wednesday...!!!

Thanks Again...Trig

The original description of Coltraneia, including its etymology, with the type species being Coltraneia celtica (revised from Treveropyge celtica), can be found in the following paper:

EVOLUTIONARY AND
BIOGEOGRAPHIC PATTERNS
IN THE ASTEROPYGINAE
(TRILOBITA, DEVONIAN)
DELO, 1935
BRUCE S. LIEBERMAN
Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Invertebrates
American Museum of Natural History
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology
Harvard University
Cambridge, Massachusetts
GERALD J. KLOC
Department of Geological Sciences
University of Rochester
Rochester, New York
BULLETIN OF THE AMERICAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
Number 232, 127 pages, 28 figures, 2 tables
Issued June 20, 1997
Copyright X American Museum of Natural History 1997 ISSN 0003-0090

and I quote:

ETYMOLOGY: Named for the jazz saxophonist
John Coltrane.

that species had listed 13 lenses maximum per dorsoventral file in its schizochroal eyes. We have established recently, via photographs of my specimen of C. oufatenensis, that members of the genus can have as many as 15 lenses per file.

---Prem

The stories they could tell I'm sure are amazing!!! Nice trilo and so glad your first one was a "real" good experience! ;)

Prem...Thanks Very Much...I had seen the reference to J. Coltrane somewhere...Coltraneia...Won't forget that I'm sure...

I said "that little monster was there for a reason"...well...I think the "Rabbit Hole" is getting deeper...It's the little things...

TREVEROPYGE CELTICA...I swear, I changed my Avatar before reading your post...Old Friends...Downieville, CA...

I'm a 5th Generation Californian...Of Cornish Descent...Celtica...???...Tre...???...Trig...???...

There's an old saying..."Tre, Pol or Penn, they all must be Cornish Men"...Oh really...

Celtic..."Wild Haired Barbarians With Winged Eye Brows"...My Father's Eye Brows were amazing...

Sounds like my Little Monster was a Cornish Trilobite who preferred hang'in around in Alluvial Gold...

That's The Story...And I'm Stick'in With It...Thank You So Much...!!!

My Very Best Regards...Trig

On 5/16/2016 at 0:26 PM, Trig said:

...Sounds like my Little Monster was a Cornish Trilobite...

It was actually named for the Celtic nation of Brittany. All of the type material is from Le Faou, France.

Morzadec, P. (1969)
Le Dévonien de la rive nord de la rivière de Faou (Finistère): Étude stratigraphie, étude de trilobites.
(The Devonian of the north bank of the Faou river, Finistere: stratigraphy and trilobites.)
Bulletin de la Société géologique et minéralogique de Bretagne, Série C, 1:1-58

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

It was actually named for the Celtic nation of Brittany. All of the type material is from Le Faou, France.

Morzadec, P. (1969)
Le Dévonien de la rive nord de la rivière de Faou (Finistère): Étude stratigraphie, étude de trilobites.
(The Devonian of the north bank of the Faou river, Finistere: stratigraphy and trilobites.)

Naaahhh...I'm pretty sure it was the Yuba River...Up near Downieville...Hang'in in the Alluvial Gold...

I'll have a chat with the Little Monster when he gets here...A Little Gold Mine'in Trilobite...

Trig... :D

And we shouldn't forget the Irish...And St. Kea...Who apparently wound up down around those parts...near Truro Cornwall...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts

My Great Great Grandfather was from Kea...My Great Great Grandmother was from Kenwyn...just up the road a bit...

Trig... :drool:

I take it everybody knows the Lieberman/Kloc Paper is available online,as is Bignon/Cronier?

The holotype of Coltraneia celtica is quite interesting. It's encrusted with coral (Aulopora).

figures from Morzadec 1969:

IMG.jpg

Morzadec, P. (1969)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Archived