Cheyenne

Hello , I try not to make spelling mistakes . Does this little fossil , perhaps the size of a 2-euro coin , a small ammonite ? She looks different from others I already found . Someone can help me?

post-20558-0-01814900-1463399715_thumb.jpg

post-20558-0-03281200-1463399728_thumb.jpg

post-20558-0-82335600-1463399743_thumb.jpg

Looks like one, but I'm not an expert on these things. Wait for someone with more knowledge and I'm sure you will get an answer.

Edited by edd

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

It sure is , but with poor preservation . So further ID is unlikely unless you can provide the exact location and some local expert voices his opinon !

Looks like a heteromorph ammonites to me.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think heteromorph ammonites also.

It may be a type of Scaphites. Can you tell us anything about the age or the name of the formation where it was found?

Hi Welcome to the forum I think heteromorph ammonites as well, nice find

Regards

Mike

It was found at Serra d'Aire e Candeeiros, Lower Jurassic layers (probably Toarcian).

My mom (Cheyenne) thought it was a different ammo and that's for why she picked it up.However, according to stratigraphical info, I think that this just a quite worn ammonite.

Regards,

Edited by Guguita2104

That rules out Scaphites then. It may be a Grammoceras, but like Taj says, the preservation is too poor for a proper id.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

For you Americans unfamiliar with the size of a 2 euro coin, it's about the size of a Zloty, or a 2nd century Dupondius. That should clear things up. =-)

• I found this Informative 1

Hi,

For you Americans unfamiliar with the size of a 2 euro coin)

As us, European : we don't know the size of $... ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Well, I guess we could totally avoid the use of coins, and say this specimen is about the diameter of the eyeball of a Watts Gnu. That should clear things up.

Also the size of a £2 coin in the UK

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike

Well, I guess we could totally avoid the use of coins, and say this specimen is about the diameter of the eyeball of a Watts Gnu. That should clear things up.

What's a watt gnu ?

I agree that's an heteromorph.

Edited by fifbrindacier

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I hate to say this, but heteromorphs are pretty well nonexistent in the lower Jurassic. I know of none in the Toarcian at any rate.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I have thought there was something odd about the area where the last whorl seems to take off in a straight shaft. There is a little wiggle on the umbilical side of the flank that doesn't make sense. I believe that what looks like a straight growth in the shell is just the way the matrix has broken away and the actual ammonite ends right before that.

post-4419-0-98679500-1463546998_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobWill
  • I found this Informative 2

I have thought there was something odd about the area where the last whorl seems to take off in a straight shaft. There is a little wiggle on the umbilical side of the flank that doesn't make sense. I believe that what looks like a straight growth in the shell is just the way the matrix has broken away and the actual ammonite ends right before that.

attachicon.gifpost-20558-0-01814900-1463399715a.jpg

Good observation.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hello,despite having a small expert at home,sometimes I need to hear other opinions.

I thank you all :)