Ordovician homocystites sp found May 14, 2016

Malcolmt

Here is a highly inflated 3-dimensional Homocystites sp that was found this past Saturday May 14 on a very cold rainy day. The only bright note to the weather was that the wet matrix made it a bit easier to see the fossils. This is from the Ordovician Verulam formation and was found in a new blast pile from the previous 7 days.

post-4886-0-01970900-1463426110_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-77855000-1463426110_thumb.jpg

The homocystites typically found is Homocystits anatiformis which is found in the Cobourg formation. This species is typically a little smaller and is under review as potentially being a different species.

Homocystites has an ovate theca and a fairly long stem (most missing in this specimen). It has a distinct pattern of radiating ridges on the plates that are very geometric in shape.

It was prepped in about 5 minutes using low PSI (10) and dolomite in the 200 to 325 mesh range. No airscribing was needed. There is no restoration or repairs.

The specimen is 36 mm long with a 27 mm theca (body) It is 11 mm wide and about 5 mm extends out of the matrix . I am considering finishing off the prep by completely exposing the specimen 360 degrees around, essentially making it a free standing on its stem specimen. I have seen a few prepped this way over the years and they are focal points in people display collections.

What do you folks think should I take the chance and go for it.

I think you should just give it to me. It's drab and unsightly. You really don't want to muck up your case with it.

Lol

Amazing find! I'd be happy with the way it sits now.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

Beautiful and extraordinary, I'd be inclined to leave it the way it is unless you've got spares? :) And matrix is always extra information...

Tarquin

Go for it Malcolm. That's a beaut!!! But maybe squeeze a little liquid cyanoacrylate into possible cracks in the stem to stabilize it first. And also stabilize the matrix you want to keep if necessary so it doesn't fall off at the wrong places.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Fantastic specimen!

Thanks for posting it, Malcolm.

Haven't seen one of these before.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I don't know....I'm a sucker for matrix fossils. This one by the way, is stupendous!

I've always hated fossil echinoderms,they're unsightly little beasts and make really really ugly fossils.The one you've shown here is another good reason why people should stay away from

them.It hurts the eyes and burns the retina.Why don't you donate the thing to charity?I know a charity in Holland...........

Edited by doushantuo

My wife is Dutch perhaps I should give it to her.... naw she pretty much hates fossils , thinks they take up way to much space.

Roger I have already permeated the cracks with cyano, the actually fossil seems quite sturdy other than a bit of the stem. I would likely only do the 360 to about 3/4 of it.

Doushantuo, The Moroccan cystites in the first paper do not seem to be as well preserved as the ones we are finding.

Ya gotta love the old school ink drawn plates. Much easier to identify specimens with than a picture of a poor quality specimen

• I found this Informative 1

That is one of the prettiest fossils I've see in a while. Just stunning.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Roger I have already permeated the cracks with cyano, the actually fossil seems quite sturdy other than a bit of the stem. I would likely only do the 360 to about 3/4 of it.

Sounds like you're well prepared for the battle. Good luck!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Nice find Malcolm. I have to get to JD quarry at some point

Quarrycomber