Field Equipment

ashcraft

From time to time people have asked about what we take to the field. I was cleaning out my truck today after an outing, so I took a picture of what I generally take with me. You will also notice several bags: backpack, electricians bag, and a white canvas bag, these all have different degress of tool holding ability, support in carrying. and each gets used accordingly. The white canvas electricians bag is the newest, it isn't particularly sturdy, but it is roomy, and fitts on a belt. I carry it when I am looking for artifacts, as I pick up most everything I come across that I believe to be carried in.

You can also see "big bertha", got it on sale for $12 at Lowe's. It was being sold as a post-hole digger, but I recognized it for what it really was, a limestone slab turner over, I don't know why they had it mislabeled.

Brent Ashcraft

post-120-1242583583_thumb.jpg

post-120-1242583667_thumb.jpg

post-120-1242583730_thumb.jpg

post-120-1242583796_thumb.jpg

ashcraft, brent allen

Great post Brent! The flags and flagging tape in particular got my imagination stirred up :) .

I hope other field collectors will post in kind.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great tool collection, Brent!

My typical tool kit consists of:

Canvas hand bag (the kind you get from trade shows) that can carry tools and rocks as well as reference maps and books.

Small Backpack (makes a difference when hauling back tons of rock at a time).

3 lb crack hammer

Estwing rock hammer

Leatherman multitool

A 1/3" thick section of phone book (for wrappping up specimens)

Wad of plastic shopping bags/newspaper bags (you never know when they will come in handy)

Depending on the rock conditions I swap out between a Small cold chisel with 3/4" blade, Large cold chisel with 1" blade or "Tile" chisel.

If it's too big to crack, and I can't carry it home then I don't need it. Field trimming is acceptable but larger rocks will be carried back for more delicate work at home.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Archived