collecting on the Ottawa river

goat

When I lived in Ottawa I had several favorite collecting sites along the river. As far as I know there is no general prohibition on collecting. That being said, every time I visit family in Ottawa I notice that more and more of the riverfront is either park or is fenced off. For example, I used to be able to explore at will in back of the NRC building on Sussex, but now that whole area is fenced and marked "keep out" with ominous signage. Where in particular were you wondering about, in the city proper or somewhere up- or down-stream?

Don

Rockclif parkway is where a saw some really nice fossils....I think the rule might be....You don't do stupid stuff...And we won't treat you that way...."My moma all ways said stupid is as stupid does" love that movie!

There are places along the parkway where one can find fossils, but much of the outcrop exposes the Rockcliffe Formation which is unfossiliferous except for trace fossils (mostly burrows but also some Rusophycus AKA trilobite resting traces). Also there were places where rock from construction projects from around the city was dumped to stabilize the river bank. That rock (especially black shale) could produce some nice fossils such as Triarthus and Pseudogygites trilobites. I was always careful to be discreet while collecting in that area, or indeed anywhere in public, to avoid having to explain to "concerned citizens" what I was doing. You would be surprised to learn how many people assume every fossil is rare and "protected", and don't believe it when they are told that it is perfectly legal to collect fossils in Ontario. [Note: some other provinces have more restrictive laws, which may or may not be enforced for invertebrates.] Of course, you should also always be careful to not leave behind a mess of smashed rock; you should fill in any holes you dig, or spread waste rock around so it looks like natural erosion of the outcrop.

Don

There's a park near the intersection of Riversedge Crescent and Trailgate St. where I have collected several times in the past and brought around 100 pounds of rocks out of Canada (no issues with customs after the first guy who didn't know trilobites weren't vertebrate fossils). It is erosion control fill that was dumped in the river but is full of trilobites.

I just parked on the street and walked through the park and wooded area to the river.

I know in Newfoundland there are locations ''Hammer free'' You can pick up off the ground but disturbing existing rock formations is a no no....ln one location its like some one filled dump trucks of fossils and dumped them along the river.....I wonder who would inforce such laws....Maybe the OPP if your causing property damage or trespassing....I guess out of site out of mind....And respect private property and you will be ok :)

• I found this Informative 1

There's a park near the intersection of Riversedge Crescent and Trailgate St. where I have collected several times in the past and brought around 100 pounds of rocks out of Canada (no issues with customs after the first guy who didn't know trilobites weren't vertebrate fossils). It is erosion control fill that was dumped in the river but is full of trilobites.

I just parked on the street and walked through the park and wooded area to the river.

I guess he should of payed attention during grade 7 biology to know the difference :)

Hey, this thread is very timely and helpful for me! I'm off to Canada this weekend and I'll be visiting friends for a couple of days in Manotick, just south of Ottawa on the Rideau River by Long Island. Do you know if there are any sites in that area?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hey, this thread is very timely and helpful for me! I'm off to Canada this weekend and I'll be visiting friends for a couple of days in Manotick, just south of Ottawa on the Rideau River by Long Island. Do you know if there are any sites in that area?

Your best bet is to start a new thread....Ask for sites around manatick....

Manotick is on the outcrop of the Lower Ordovician March/Oxford Formation. It is a dolomite that is virtually unfossiliferous, although a few patches here and there are less dolomitized and have rare gastropods and trilobits (heads & tails). The trilobits (misspelling is intentional) are so rare that any specimen is likely to be scientifically important. On the other hand, as you say, Manotick is virtually in Ottawa and a short drive will take you more promising limestone and shale exposures.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

I guess he should of payed attention during grade 7 biology to know the difference :)

I can't help it... grammar police call to action....Should have paid attention in grade 7 English class ,too. : )

Manotick is on the outcrop of the Lower Ordovician March/Oxford Formation. It is a dolomite that is virtually unfossiliferous, although a few patches here and there are less dolomitized and have rare gastropods and trilobits (heads & tails). The trilobits (misspelling is intentional) are so rare that any specimen is likely to be scientifically important. On the other hand, as you say, Manotick is virtually in Ottawa and a short drive will take you more promising limestone and shale exposures.

Don

Thanks, Don. I just discovered that the park that Kris mentioned is just around the corner, so I could at least give that a go.

Thanks, Don. I just discovered that the park that Kris mentioned is just around the corner, so I could at least give that a go.

It's worth a stop if you're nearby. It's mostly trilobite hash but nice pygidia are common. I found a large one that is over 2" wide. I only got to stop for a total of 90 minutes spread over two trips due to scheduling so I didn't find any whole bugs. I'm sure they're out there though.

Ok, Kris. I'm basking in the Canadian sun right now at my brother's place near TO, but I'll be up in Manotick next week, so I should be able to give it a shot.

Ok, Kris. I'm basking in the Canadian sun right now at my brother's place near TO, but I'll be up in Manotick next week, so I should be able to give it a shot.

Stop by Dallas on your way home and I'll take you to some Cretaceous sites to round out the trip!!!

Well heck, while you're in Dallas, you may as well walk over to Calif. for a day in the Bakersfield quarries. After all, it's just a few blocks away.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Was just there last week. Not many places left. If you're still in the city, you might want to try the Rideau River instead, especially at Strathcona Park. You *can* fish some shale out of the river, but might not be a good idea to go too far (no crossing signs as it is slippery). I left some unworked shale in a pile if you go a few metres south of the baseball diamond and head into a small opening to the river. It is relatively secluded with tree coverage so it won't come to anyone's attention.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I've got internet access again right now, so I just wanted to briefly take the opportunity to say thanks to Kris. The site is exactly as described and you can pick and choose your pygidium. I took one that was 3 inches wide. I'll post a pic once I get back home.

I'm back home again now and have started to sort through my finds. I took my friends to the site, who don't know much about fossils and had no idea that this existed, so they had a lot of fun there. My compressor hasn't been fixed yet, so I can't prep it yet, but this pygidium turned out to be 3.5 inches wide. Although there were also a lot of cephalon pieces and whatnot, I just settled on this one. My impression was that the chances are a million to one of finding a complete Pseudogygites there. The fossils appear to be exclusively molts,the shale is mostly very soft and there seems to have been a lot of turbulence before fossilization.

post-2384-0-88058100-1465969945_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that is pretty impressive even though it's just a pygidium! Nice find Roger (and sorry for resurrecting this zombie thread). :P

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...