smt126

Anyone near platteville, wondering about some locations?

smt126

I've been reading geological study after study, then cross referencing with google earth. The last couple days I've been looking over the 151 and 61 outcrops. The roads seem pretty busy, with questionable ability to pull over on the side of the road. From what I read too it sounds like the more fossiliferous stone is much higher up in the 25+ feet zones for 151 and 9+ ft for 61. My fossil hunting companion is a soon to be 6 year old, and I'm a bit skeptical about the terrain. Any advice on the safety or logistics of those locations would be greatly helpful as it's a bit of a drive for us.

I was also going along 61 and saw a rock formation that's NW of Thill's transmission(halfway between Dickeyvill and Potosi). It looks like it might be a quarry of some type? I see one path in that looks open, and the other has some rocks sitting in front of it. Anyone know if you can go in there or is that off limits?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

Raggedy Man

Those road cuts have a cliff face thats 20 feet+. Because of this, there are no trespassing signs posted. As far as the quarry is concerned, that is also no trespassing. Road cuts you're allowed to hunt will be on the side roads off of 151 and 61. The best formations to hunt in that area are the ones on streams, rivers and private property. Many of the road cuts out by Platteville do not contain fossils.

Best regards,

Paul

smt126

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information once again. I was guessing that would be the case, but didn't see any no trespassing signs from the google earth app. I was quite hesitant as it was as I didn't want my little peanut getting hurt. It's hard to get a 3 dimensional view sometimes with the app to know just how much of a landing there is on those cliffs. I figured that little quarry was off limits too with the rocks sitting out in front of the one drive. I noticed that a lot of the rock formations don't contain fossils as you mentioned from the geological reports. I just thought it'd be fun to go on a road trip to look for something new.

Raggedy Man

I'd like to update my original reply. There are a few cuts that are highly fossilized, but most are sandstone and I haven't personally found anything in these locations. Hunting any road cut out there with a 6 year old would not be recommended. The cut on 151, is accessible, however, it's suggested that you climb the hill and hunt the top area. If the rock is above the St.Peter sandstone, than it should contain fossils. If they're in the Platteville limestone, then they will be molds as the dolomitic limestone replaces the fossil. 

Edit: The cuts on 151 do have some access. Between Dickeyville and Platteville there are side roads,(cross traffic) that also have cuts by the main road(151). You can exit 151 and park 20-30 feet from the turn off spot and hunt the side cuts. 

Also, there are Cambrian road cuts in Green Lake County(around Kingston) that contain trilobites.

Edited by Raggedy Man

smt126

Thanks for the update. I never get away without at least one of the kids with me if not all of them so this might have to wait until everyone is older. 

Mschaecer81

Trilobites in Green lake county? What road? Thought there's no fossil in that county

Fossildude19
On 2/12/2017 at 0:34 PM, Mschaecer81 said:

Trilobites in Green lake county? What road? Thought there's no fossil in that county

Have a look at this website - bear in mind, the information is old, but a good place to start your research. ;) 

Regards,