Sign in to follow this  
Seerelated

st clair pa help please

Seerelated

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to take a ride to St Clair PA within the next two weeks and I'm wondering if anyone has some tips for good locations? I've had a few busts lately and it's a three hour ride from where I live so I'd like to be armed with as much info as possible beforehand. Thanks!!

Edited by Seerelated

Fossildude19

I'll save you the trip and some heartache...

St. Clair has been closed to collecting by the land owners - Reading Anthracite, since around last July.

It is patrolled by private security, and people are/have been being arrested and charged with Criminal Trespass. :(

They only allow school groups to collect, and you need written permission from Reading Anthracite office to go there.

Sorry for the bad news.

Regards,

Seerelated

Oh my god no way! Wow. That's horrible news. Thanks for saving me the trip but wow

Fossildude19

I hear you. It was a fabulous place. Now ruined, for the casual collector by greed. :(:shake head:<_<

Understandable, however, from the land owners' perspective.

Seerelated

Yeah I just read the topic you sent me. Such a shame one persons greed ruined it for us all. I went collecting on trilobite mt and they tried to throw me out, because they're building a house over the ridge. I'm having a hard time understanding how these people don't appreciate these natural wonders and instead only see profit/land development. It's very sad

FossilDAWG

I went collecting on trilobite mt and they tried to throw me out, because they're building a house over the ridge.

Were you on private property, or were you on public land and they felt they could control the entire area? If the former, they are of course entitled to control who accesses their land and for what purpose. I have also run into the latter situation on occasion. In Arizona, I had issues with ranchers who would block access to BLM land. In Maryland, you will occasionally find landowners who think they own the whole beach, and try to kick you out even if you stay below the high tide mark. On the other hand, in Virginia they do own all the way to the lowest low tide, so if you are not standing in the water you really are trespassing.

At any rate, it is always important to know where the lines are between private and public land, and always get permission before setting foot on someone else's land.

Don