The Scenic Peace River

Bone Daddy

These are just a few photos of my favorite Florida river, the Peace. I've explored many over my lifetime of hiking, camping, and fishing, but fossil hunting made the Peace my favorite. Now I want to do all of my old activities on the Peace (the aformentioned hiking, camping, and fishing). Today, I saw a catfish the size of my forearm (I have long arms). He hung around, checking me out, waiting for me leave to his hang-out spot. I couldn't get a photo of him, by the time I went back to the canoe to fetch my camera, he had bugged out to elsewhere. Then, right on cue, as soon as I put the camera back, he returned. I recall my dad saying years ago that the biggest catfish are not good eating because they have worms....not sure if that is true, just another dad-ism. I need to get my fishing license again, so I can catch dinner while we are out hunting for fossils.

post-7962-0-51486700-1463542958_thumb.jpg

This stretch is quite isolated. No development. Very "Peace-ful". :)

post-7962-0-25028400-1463543164_thumb.jpg

post-7962-0-05903100-1463543173_thumb.jpg

post-7962-0-74679500-1463543180_thumb.jpg

Getting near "Bone Island" ... where we found mammoth teeth, megalodons, dire wolf, and other interesting bits. Don't ask where it's at, or I will have to put you under Bone Island.... ;)

post-7962-0-06276800-1463543388_thumb.jpg

That's awesome! We're coming out from Texas in 2 weeks. Not asking for any honeyhole locations, but do you have a suggestion on where to bring an experienced fossil finding family for a good Peace experience? We'll be staying in Venice, but will come over sometime in the week to the Peace.

thanks,

M

• I found this Informative 1

Mitchell

Don't Sit Still - - You'll Fossilize! :P

Hi Mitchell,

Almost the entire Peace River is one big honey hole for fossils, depending on how picky you are. The common stuff (little shark teeth, turtle shell, dugong rib) is all over the place. I've gotten lucky in places that other people said were already picked clean, and I've made out pretty well in the isolated stretches where casual paddlers don't go. Generally, the further south you go, the more fossils, but I wouldn't go to much further south than Arcadia or Brownville because it's diminishing returns, deeper, wider, brackish, and tidal influenced.

We hit anywhere along the Peace in Polk and Hardee counties. There are numerous public ramps and private campgrounds, but also some isolated stretches.

Keep in mind, the photos I posted above were taken when the river level was at about 4-5 feet and about the lowest it had been this season so far. The next day torrential rains hit and the river jumped almost 6 feet in 24 hours. We have had more rain since then, although this week the forecast looks drier. It is also running very hard now - paddling upstream for any distance will be futile. If you have a good motor, that will help.

I just checked the gauge again (the USGS Zolfo Springs, Peace River) and it's at 10.8 feet - that is over 6 feet higher than when I took the photos. So, that area we hunted that was up to my knees, is now well over my head under fast moving water. If the weather gets dry and stays dry, it could drop a few feet in the two weeks before you plan to come. The summer rainy season is about to kick in, so the clock is ticking before we start getting regular showers and storms in the late afternoon that keep the rivers high. If we are lucky, we might get a dry spell over the next weeks and that could drop the river down to a doable (but still high) level for fossil hunting.

I'm praying for dry weather like you. As soon as it goes down, I am ready to hit it again. :)

Here is a link to the Zolfo gauge. Conventional wisdom is 6-feet or less for good fossiling. I've done well at higher, but luck takes over then.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/fl/nwis/uv/?site_no=02295637&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

The discharge flow should be 200 or less for comfortable casual paddling, especially any upstream paddling for distance. It's is now well above that and running quite hard. Fire up the motor, or just do a downstream run. On the glass is half full side of things, that means lots of good fossils are going to be washing out of the banks with this rain. On the glass half empty side, most of those fossils are going to be washed out into the river bed, somewhere, downstream, maybe, waiting for much lower water levels to help reveal them.

Good luck, and I can point you to some park ramps or campgrounds if you want, but keep an eye on that river first.

Edited by Bone Daddy
  • I found this Informative 2

If you scuba, they can take you spots off Venice to dive for megalodon teeth and other stuff, but that's an entirely different ballgame. :)

On the open river the mosquitos are not a concern. The side creeks and swampy areas can be infested. Best to bring repellant, just in case.

Yup. Never had a problem with skeeters on the Peace River but don't forget sunscreen and a hat.

Mitchell, keep an eye on the river gauge posted above. Unless the rains hold off for the next couple of weeks and the river somehow manages to drain, it may just be done for the season--and a very short season it has been. There may be some other possible fossil activities available but June is late in the season for the Peace in a good year and this year has been far from favorable.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks,

as sad of news as that is, I appreciate the heads up. Our river is just about dried up for the summer - opposite problem to have.

Well, we'll see what we can come up with. If you have any other West Florida suggestions (we're staying in Venice Beach and Tampa during the trip) I'd love a PM. Thanks for the help. Hope I can return the favor in Texas some day.

thanks again,

M

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

The good news is, the river has been dropping. It is now down to about 6.25 feet and discharge flow back down to about 320. That is still a little high, but not nearly as bad was it was. If it keeps up like this, it should be below 6 feet in the next day or two. But, we are in our summer rain pattern now, so it's a little dicey. My best advice is to bring some of your gear, and plan for a trip to the Peace, but keep an eye on that USGS gauge. Have an alternate plan ready just in case the rains ruin it for you while you are here. If the river is too high, head for the beach if the weather is pretty that day. Go down to Venice and grab some shark teeth, or do some beachcombing at the least.

Bradenton beach is nice - Cortez and Coquina beach on that stretch have free parking. Sand Key near Clearwater is nice. It's a county park, so no alcohol and minimal concessions, so the rowdy kids tend to stay away (rangers and sheriff's always present). Tarpon Springs is really nice. Greek sponge docks and nearby Fred Howard Park is a beach that is family friendly and nice. Go to the Gulf Beaches, not the Bay Beaches. Tampa Bay waters and beaches are not nearly as nice as the Gulf of Mexico is.

Fort Desoto Park has it all - camping, beach, hiking, fishing, dog beach, rentals, the whole nine yards.

Thanks Bone Daddy. As it was running high and looking to stay that way, we opted for a quick couple of days on our gulf beach and spending the rest of our week here at Texoma pulling some big ammonites, Leptostyrax, etc. We've got a lot of local sources, so we'll just know to plan on Peace River during maybe a spring break trip before the rains set in.

thank you very much for all of your help and info. I've got your river gauge bookmarked right next to ours.

C U around the forum.

M

Mitchell