Siroccopteryx tooth

SpringGroveUK

This a tooth I've been considering purchasing. It has a high price, so I'd like to submit it here for the usual issue inquiries - is it really the species advertised? Any noticeable repair/restoration work?

The size is 1-7/8".

Thanks much.

post-21043-0-59598000-1464134659_thumb.jpg

post-21043-0-99129900-1464134669_thumb.jpg

Looks like a nice tooth but I am no expert.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Moroccan? It has the appearance of the tooth of a Cretaceous flying reptile. Which one? I don't know (and i suspect there would be a good deal of guess work in a more specific answer). However, I am out of my small area of confidence. The last and perhaps most important issue - what is the "high price."

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The dealer doesn't explicitly say where this particular tooth was found. He says, "An EXTRA LARGE, complete Siroccopteryx tooth. Siroccopteryx is the only named flying reptile from Africa."

The price is $150. To me that's high in comparison to what I usually see Siroccopteryx teeth priced at. I usually see them in the $30-$50 range.

Looks like a Kem Kem tooth but without a positive locality who knows.

Most sellers identify this morphology of tooth from this region has Siroccopteryx to enhance sales. The tooth being sold looks great however IMO highly overpriced.

The facts are that Pterosaurs from this region are very poorly understood and to identify an isolated tooth to a specific species is highly problematic since new discoveries are constantly being made. They may be other species with similiar morphologies that have yet to be described. It's best to ID this, if from the Kem Kem, to the family of toothed pterosaurs Anhanguerid.

I add to this discussion a 2010 paper that describes four new toothless pterosaur from the Kem Kem so new discoveries are being made.

5967-18716-1-PB.pdf

$150! Yikes!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Looks real to me. Seems a bit pricey, but it is a good quality tooth and it's bigger than most. I usually see these teeth around an inch in size. As it's been stated above it's hard to definitively attach a species to this tooth.

Brightened, for detail:

post-423-0-35288600-1464204506_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the responses, all. And thanks for that paper, Troodon. I didn't know about the Moroccan toothless buggers. Actually, I didn't even know that multiple pterosaur family specimens have been found over there. Fascinating land, that place.

Archived