Fossil Rock campgrounds

Raggedy Man

Yup. We've heard. Sad news for fossil hunters as well as the campers who were long time residents. I'll have to look elsewhere for fossil hunting when I'm up there next week but that is not as much inconvenience as having to move a trailer and dismantle fixed structures like decks and sheds. We can only keep our fingers crossed that the new owners (assuming it sells at auction) don't turn it into a residential community of single-family homes and forever block access to the fossil-laden spoil piles out back. Only time will tell.

-Ken

• 3 months later...

After several months of being on the market, the property was officially sold over the weekend. Attempts to ascertain the new owners and intentions have failed. However, rumor has it a fishing club will be moving in. Welp, it's time to join the club...lol

Edited by Raggedy Man
  • I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

Thanks for keeping up on this. If we could put a bug in the ear of the new owner and let them know they can make some additional cash by allowing fossil-starved hunters into the back 40, they might just go for it. It's not like they are going to develop the hilly land out back and as long as they have no liability concerns it could possibly work. Even if they tried to cash in and charged $10/$20 for the access (over the original pittance of $5) it would still be well worth the cost.

Let us know if you hear anything more.

Cheers.

-Ken

Looking forward to seeing what unfolds! Pit 2 is a great site. I've never had a higher productive concretion rate. I'd say about 70-80% of my finds there had at least a leaf or fern.

actually had the chance to hunt with Ken and some others! that was a really fun day (er, weekend, since some of us returned the following day :))

You were being more selective that I was. I had all intentions of only keeping the "sure" nodules that you could tell from the shape just had to have some plant material in them (the elongated ones). Because you can get horseshoe crabs from Pit 2 in the rounder nodules, those always went in the bucket too. In the end, it was easier to toss all but the most deformed nodules in the bucket and haul them home (Southwest allows free bags up to 50 pounds. :)) I'm sure if I had the opportunity to go back often, I'd have been more choosy. Now I'm kinda glad I pulled all I could from that site while it was available. Hope it becomes available again--would be sad to lose that site as so many other locations have become unavailable over the years.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks for the update, Raggedy Man. I sure hope they keep it open for the public to dig- I would be more than willing to pay $20 or more for a chance to fossil hunt there.

I haven't personally spoken to anyone at the other private recreation areas in the Mazon Creek area, but looking at their websites and board meeting minutes, it doesn't seem like they give any thought whatsoever to the rich fossil resources underfoot. I could not find a single reference to fossil hunting as an activity people might undertake, either positively or negatively. Compared to fishing/hunting/camping, we are a pretty niche hobby.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2016 at 0:55 PM, Raggedy Man said:

After several months of being on the market, the property was officially sold over the weekend. Attempts to ascertain the new owners and intentions have failed. However, rumor has it a fishing club will be moving in. Welp, it's time to join the club...lol

Where did you hear it was a fishing club?  I heard it was sold and will open again as a campgrounds in the Spring.

Cheers,

Rich

Fingers crossed that no matter what it is when it reopens that the new owners will be fossil-hunter friendly. Would be a shame to lose such a great place to dig Pit 2 nodules.

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, stats said:

Where did you hear it was a fishing club?  I heard it was sold and will open again as a campgrounds in the Spring.

Cheers,

Rich

From Fine and Company LLC. The company that auctioned the property. Where did you hear it would be opened again for camping? The cost to redo the well is over 1 million dollars due to the sulfides and other chemicals leeching into the surrounding water table.

...I'm back.

53 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

From Fine and Company LLC. The company that auctioned the property. Where did you hear it would be opened again for camping? The cost to redo the well is over 1 million dollars due to the sulfides and other chemicals leeching into the surrounding water table.

A million dollars seems very steep for a well.  What are other people in the area using for water?

Cheers,

Rich

27 minutes ago, stats said:

A million dollars seems very steep for a well.  What are other people in the area using for water?

Cheers,

Rich

A home owner uses a 2 inch well. A campground needs a 6 inch or bigger. The cost isn't unreasonable when you consider the depth, size and protective measures needed to ensure the safety of the people using it. 219 full service hook ups that need water plus the pressure needed to facilitate the demand. I'm sure the total cost covers the well and pumping system needed. The article that covered the well issue said it must be at least 200ft to ensure contamination is at a minimum. I mean really, do you want coal byproducts in water you plan on drinking? I dont...lol.

...I'm back.

Cannot find any active permits or applications for the reopening of the campgrounds or well drilling. These are public domain records and should accessible if they exist. I would consider any information about them reopening hearsay until confirmed by the commerce committee that approves these permits.

...I'm back.

We're planning on doing some fossil hunting in the area on Sunday (10/9) knowing the State Park is closed, but planning on going to the Fossil Rock Campground.  Now that I've read the above I know that the campground is closed.  Any suggestions for other places to find fossils in the area?  We are two novices with a hope of finding a few fossils.

• 9 months later...

Curious if anyone knows the current status of the campground and if the new owner is allowing access?  I'll be in the area in early August and am thinking of stopping by if its open.  

It is currently under construction and not open to the public. And it is still unclear whether or not they will let us collect there anymore. I know they will have to discuss it with the hunt club that is near there. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

• 2 years later...

Has anybody heard if fossil rock campground has or will be opening anytime soon? The website says it will open in spring of 2018 but that time has obviously come and gone.

Thought about driving by it when I was up in Chicago this summer and visited Mazonia-Braidwood. I suspect the odds of it reopening for fossil hunting are quite low and I'm not even sure if it is open again as a campground. Has anybody who lives in the area visited (or driven by) the campground lately to check on its status?

Cheers.

-Ken

On 9/3/2019 at 11:03 AM, digit said:

Thought about driving by it when I was up in Chicago this summer and visited Mazonia-Braidwood. I suspect the odds of it reopening for fossil hunting are quite low and I'm not even sure if it is open again as a campground. Has anybody who lives in the area visited (or driven by) the campground lately to check on its status?

Cheers.

-Ken

@stats do you have any info?

12 hours ago, Nimravis said:

@stats do you have any info?

There has been a fair amount of improvements.  And, I've heard they have plans to reopen.  Unfortunately, it's not done yet.  I'll ask around and post when I know more.  I really miss that place!

Cheers,

Rich

• I found this Informative 3

21 minutes ago, stats said:

There has been a fair amount of improvements.  And, I've heard they have plans to reopen.  Unfortunately, it's not done yet.  I'll ask around and post when I know more.  I really miss that place!

Cheers,

Rich

Thanks- I never collected there.

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

Thanks- I never collected there.

Very similar to your Shadow Lake (pit 3) material.  Mostly terrestrial - plants and some animals like horseshoe crabs, syncarid shrimp, etc.  My Dasyleptis and a centipede came from there.

Cheers,

Rich

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, stats said:

Very similar to your Shadow Lake (pit 3) material.  Mostly terrestrial - plants and some animals like horseshoe crabs, syncarid shrimp, etc.  My Dasyleptis and a centipede came from there.

Cheers,

Rich

My two largest Essexella came from there, and my first shrimp.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I just never collected there because I could get into Pit 4 anytime I wanted and since they were building, there was a ton of stuff to be found.

18 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I just never collected there because I could get into Pit 4 anytime I wanted and since they were building, there was a ton of stuff to be found.

Oops, Pit 4 was Shadow Lakes, right?  Pit 3 was straight east of Pit 2.  Fossil Rock is in what was Pit 2.

Cheers,

Rich