Opinions

CreekCrawler

I have started working on my Mosasaur tooth.I've exposed a little of the tooth that was covered by matrix on the backside.The enamel looks great on the newly exposed backside of the tooth.The piece is already freestanding at this point ,photo #1. Should I call it done and keep it as a matrix specimen,or should I expose the rest of the tooth?? I like matrix specimens,but what if the tooth is just a nice as the newly exposed backside in photo #2 after I remove some more matrix from that area. I have applied some super glue to the cracked area to stabilize the tooth some.

Just fishing here for some opinions.

thanks

post-417-1242682230_thumb.jpgpost-417-1242682240_thumb.jpgpost-417-1242682257_thumb.jpg

I like matrix too.

If you can expose the edges a little more on the "front" (to define the tooth better), I'd call it perfect.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I like matrix too.

If you can expose the edges a little more on the "front" (to define the tooth better), I'd call it perfect.

^^^^

I agree. Another + for keeping it on the matrix is that it won't look like one of those Moroccan teeth you see quite often. The matrix helps define it as a lone star mosasaur!

^^^^

I agree. Another + for keeping it on the matrix is that it won't look like one of those Moroccan teeth you see quite often. The matrix helps define it as a lone star mosasaur!

i third the opinion. prep a little more on the from and possible level out a surface on the matrix as a base so it can stand up. and call it great.

Brock

Nice job, Barry! I think I would leave it in the matrix. It looks good as is and perhaps offers some stabilization of it's own. And if you change your mind later, you can always clean off the rest.

I would clean a little more around the edges and leave the rest. It is beautiful and with the matrix it gives it more of the mystic about it.

i third the opinion. prep a little more on the from and possible level out a surface on the matrix as a base so it can stand up. and call it great.

Brock

I agree that it should stand vertical like in the jaw.However to make it flat on the bottom like that you would be dealing with bone as there is really no matrix there to speak of.I could set it into some sort of custom made base!

I also agree it sould stay mostly in the matrix after reading y'all posts.

thanks

post-417-1242686849_thumb.jpgpost-417-1242686865_thumb.jpg

I need a little more info. Why don't you send it to me, and I'll study it carefully for a year or so and send it back. Then I'll be able to give you a much more informed opinion.

(By the way. Was DChalo with you when you found this?)

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Can you tell what the bones are? How many bones are in there?

Hi Mbetts,the bone is a piece of the Mosasaur jawbone that the tooth is attached to.

I've kept everything from that block of matrix and have begun to reduce it into smaller pieces.There are mostly phosphatic molds of gastropods and baccilites left in the pieces.I'll work on the other pieces here and there to remove all the molds and keep them associated with the tooth.It doesn't look like there is any more bone in the pieces that I have left.

I need a little more info. Why don't you send it to me, and I'll study it carefully for a year or so and send it back. Then I'll be able to give you a much more informed opinion.

(By the way. Was DChalo with you when you found this?)

No, I was with Oh-Man when I found the piece.Was DChalo in the area?

No, I was with Oh-Man when I found the piece.Was DChalo in the area?

Maybe his Dad was... :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Leave it in the matrix. Do a little tweeking to expose a full side view & leave it alone. B)

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

to me there just isn't quite enough matrix left, I would take the rest off. Whatever you do it will look awesome, great find! :)

Maybe his Dad was... :P

OK, I don't get it, what's up with the DChalo reference????

I wanna laugh too! :)

His dad took him to a creek on his property (in Texas) where he "found" a moroccan shark tooth, trilobite and mosasaur tooth.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

OK, I don't get it, what's up with the DChalo reference????

I wanna laugh too! :)

were you been the last 3 days he has found the coolest stuff

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

His dad took him to a creek on his property (in Texas) where he "found" a moroccan shark tooth, trilobite and mosasaur tooth.

Ok, now I am laughing :D:D That post is great.I wonder if he will give out the location of that sweet spot :P:P

Barry- You've done a great job so far! I would keep it in the matrix as well. It can always be prepped a little more in the future if you choose to do so. That is one of the coolest finds I've seen in a while! Congrats again!

snakekeeper64...............Matrix adds ....'provenance'...... to a fossil.... expose the top edge and leave it sideways freestanding... if you add anything to it to form a base it will detract from its natural asthetic appeal......

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

snakekeeper64...............Matrix adds ....'provenance'...... to a fossil.... expose the top edge and leave it sideways freestanding... if you add anything to it to form a base it will detract from its natural asthetic appeal......

I agree! Could not of said it better myself :D

Great find BTW!!!

Instead of adding to the base you might try polishing it so it comes to a flat suface.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

i'd go with the matrix. unless you don't need the hatchback, in which case i'd got with a corolla. either way, i'd get rid of the tooth. it's yucky because you don't know what that critter was eating, plus it distracts from the natural beauty of the matrix.

edit - excuse tracer - he's obviously off his meds again. plus he suffers extreme jealousy of anyone else's mosasaur finds. i should know. i'm one of his personalities.