Texas Echinoids

PaleoWilliam

I am looking for pictures of Cyphosoma texana, Diplopodia taffi, Salenia mexicana, Goniopygus sp. and Holectypus planatus.

Names have been revised. Google search Phymosoma texanum, Tetragramma taffi, Leptosalenia mexicana, and Coenholectypus planatus.

• I found this Informative 4

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Three things might help you for starters: get Finsley's book, check echinoids against The Echinoid Directory, and do searches of The Forum using the names Dan gave you above.

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Names have been revised. Google search Phymosoma texanum, Tetragramma taffi, Leptosalenia mexicana, and Coenholectypus planatus.

Have all the salenia's changed name?

No. The distinction is based on uniserial versus biserial pore pairs in the ambulacra. In other words, it is a detail on the micro level that slipped past everyone for several years. I think Andrew Smith called it out.

S. texana is now L. texana, and a few others in Texas have been reassigned as well.

We also have Hyposalenia in Texas, distinguished by a different radial alignment of periproct and ambs.

I realize that photos would be hugely helpful, but other finds have pushed echinoids off my phone.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I'm pretty sure I can find pictures with the new names. Thanks for the help. I will have to change my S. texana to L. texana.

• 9 months later...
On 3/24/2017 at 2:47 PM, Bill Thompson said:

They are all in my book.  Fossil Echinoids of Texas.  Photos and Descriptions.

Bill's book has the latest greatest. (His is in color and high definition!!)

There others available but with all the changes and re-assignments going in many publications, such

as Houston Gem and Mineral Society's book on Texas Echinoids, they become obsolete quickly.

William we met at the Fossilmania show last year.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad you are enjoying the book Fossil Echinoids of Texas  - A Monograph of Fossil Sea Urchins.

46 New Species and 1 new Genus.

I collected another new Species with Dr. Stephen Crane last Saturday  - Tiaromma Pomel, 1883.

It is from the Walnut Formation.  Specimens measure 7 mm up to 13 mm.