Pennsylvanian Oddity

shorty

This was found while hunting concretions in the Mazon Creek area Sunday.

The back looks like a concretion. The little things are kind of bulbous & protrude from the background.

A man at the site said it's exterior of a tree, but it's unusual to have the 'jugs' attached. (his word, not mine!) He didn't know the name of it. I can't find anything like this in my plant book, and googling 'fossil jugs' isn't helping! ;)

Anyone have any ideas?

post-1206-1242707874_thumb.jpg

post-1206-1242707900_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

shorty............

I would say they look more like some form of 3d preserved ...' plant seeds'...... maybe 'Cordaicarpus'.....obviously I dont know the paeloenviromental conditions in your area like you do, so Im guessing....

Ive found calamites Bulbils, or reproductive parts that detach from the tree, drift downstream and settle in a margin and root forming a new plant, although I only have a cross section of the inside, and I would of thought they look 'like that' on the outside...they were attached to branchlets, not the main trunk, the one below is still on a twig......

Inside a Bulbil......

post-1630-1242722121_thumb.jpg

Some crushed, split or sectioned seeds

post-1630-1242737326_thumb.jpg

post-1630-1242737347_thumb.jpg

post-1630-1242737369_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Initial observations lead me to agree with Moropus that it's an calax from a Crinoid or Blastoid. Second look makes me think about a rugose coral. But I think Terry might be closest with his Cordaicarpus theory. A seed or fruiting body of some sort?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Actually it is not a fossil...It is the remains of the smallest stock of moonshine jugs ever discovered... :D;)

On the other hand I lean towards Crinoids.

Be true to the reality you create.

Terry Dactyll,

Wow! you have a nice collection of concretions! I've been looking at seeds, too but I'm not finding a good match. If it helps, these come from the Francis Creek shale, in Illinois.

Thanks for your help!

Moropus & Shamalama,

Thanks for the help! From what I've read, a crinoid would be very unusual here. I think there's only been one described http://www.archive.org/stream/crinoidfromp...29lane_djvu.txt

I'd love it to be a crinoid, though!

Is it safe to wear away at the soft grey rock with a toothbrush to look for more details?

Thanks!

Actually it is not a fossil...It is the remains of the smallest stock of moonshine jugs ever discovered... :D;)

Maybe leprechaun moonshine jugs?! Quick! I'll list them on ebay! :P

Shorty .........

I found this.... This ones crushed, where yours is 3d

http://www.museum.state.il.us/exhibits/maz...aicarpusgutbiem

I have very often found concretions with the fossil on the outside..... I think this is what has happened to yours, and im pretty sure it is some form of seed.... Maybe email the ..... Field Museum?

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

This was found while hunting concretions in the Mazon Creek area Sunday.

The back looks like a concretion. The little things are kind of bulbous & protrude from the background.

A man at the site said it's exterior of a tree, but it's unusual to have the 'jugs' attached. (his word, not mine!) He didn't know the name of it. I can't find anything like this in my plant book, and googling 'fossil jugs' isn't helping! ;)

Anyone have any ideas?

post-1206-1242707874_thumb.jpg

post-1206-1242707900_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

My opinion it's not a tree. What strata is your specimen from?

My opinion it's not a tree. From what strata is your specimen?

Francis Creek Shale, Pennsylvanian formation in Will County, Illinois.

Guest N.AL.hunter

What interesting fossils!! They do appear to have "stem" or "stalk" sections like Crinoids do. I would say not Blastoids. Could be some type of Cystoid. I hope you find out and we will all learn something.

Did you find this in the strata or loose as float on the surface of a pile? Does it look like the other rocks where you found it? These questions are just in case someone dumped some leftovers from another trip into a pile that you found. I've seen (and done) it before but it's not malicious, just an easy way to get rid of stuff one doesn't need anymore.

Could you try a side shot picture of the rock and fossils? The two you post are only one perspective and another angle or two would help.

Terry - I can almost see it being Ginkgo seeds... but they look longer and shaped oddly.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I will keep trying to get a clear side view of them. They're oddly shaped. The little stem things don't come straight out of the balls. They all look pushed forward in the same direction.

This was found loose on a coal mining spoil pile, on one of the islands in the Mazonia State Park / ComEd cooling lake (map). So it's from pit 11, and should be Essex fauna if it's from the Francis Creek shale. The back looks like the concretions in the area, but I can't tell you for sure it's half a concretion because I only found one side. The grey stuff is similar to the shale the concretions are found in. I'll post some open ferns also found that day for comparison.

If it's not from this area, someone would have had to have brought it years ago when the mine was active, or by boat if recently. Then walked quite a ways up a large hill.

Thanks!

I think they are fruiting bodies; when I get a chance, I'll try to find my reference.

<EDIT> Take a look at the Halonia fruiting bodies on docdutronc's site: http://monsite.orange.fr/lepidomania/index.jhtml

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think they are fruiting bodies; when I get a chance, I'll try to find my reference.

<EDIT> Take a look at the Halonia fruiting bodies on docdutronc's site: http://monsite.orange.fr/lepidomania/index.jhtml

Agree as for shape of the fruiting bodies, other thing it seems to me that 'fruits' saved very detailed features but there is no tipical for halonia bark at all, so it completely destroyed? And I do not see any system in 'fruits' position - compare with the reconstruction piture.

I think that we are looking at the stem ends of the fruit, and that they are off the tree.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I think that we are looking at the stem ends of the fruit, and that they are off the tree.

I seriously doubt that these forms are plants .....

There should be a close-up photo of these forms, is there bracts ?, like the pine apples !!!!

there is a small tail such as fruit ...

Here is the best I can do with editing the existing photo:

post-423-1242771381_thumb.jpg

I apologize for the poor quality pictures. I'll have to borrow a better camera. But here are all different angles. Please let me know which view would help you most & I'll try it on the scanner later tonight.

post-1206-1242773949_thumb.jpg

post-1206-1242773935_thumb.jpg

post-1206-1242773917_thumb.jpg

post-1206-1242773893_thumb.jpg

Here are other concretions found in the same spot for comparison. The rock in question is on the left

post-1206-1242773974_thumb.jpg

This was found on the other side of the same hill

post-1206-1242773995_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for all your help with this! I really do appreciate your time.

Kim

Where the "stem" attaches do you seen any pentagonal symmetry which would indicate echinoderm? Maybe they are crinoid bulbs/holdfasts?

There's a similar looking "fruiting body" called Porocystis globularis from the lower Cretaceous in Texas.

Please let me know which view would help you most...

I'm kind of excited about this fossil, so please don't interpret my ardor as impatience :) .

What I would like to see is a couple good close-ups of the "fruits", showing the texture and surface structure up close and personal in good light. See whether your camera might have a Macro setting (often designated by a tulip icon).post-423-12572052400543.jpg Even that might not get close enough to show the salient detail; you might experiment with photographing through a magnifier or loupe.

See how your scanner does; if you can set the resolution high enough, the scan can then be tightly cropped to reduce the file size while maintaining the details.

Again, I think you might just have a really cool fossil on your hands; if so, it will be worth the effort.

I agree, especially as this was found in association with other plant material. I dont see how they could be crinoid/blastoid? although* they do resemble the shape wouldnt you go with terrestrial rather than marine if the majority/if not all of the associated fauna is plant? if there were brachiopods and what not being found in the same area then i would agree with some of your hypothesis too...

But i would put my money on them being some form of fruting body.

Considering these are everywhere where i live, check out these modern examples of the fruiting body off the Eucalypt tree's...very similar in shape and structure.

post-142-1242782440_thumb.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Your oddity is definately not a concretion from the Francis Creek Shale. it does appear to me to be a calyx of either a crinoid or cystoid. Mazon creek collectors refer to this stone as "wonder stone" (collectors wonder where it came from). It is transported glacial till and is often found out on the spoil piles. I have collected quite a few pieces containing crinoid fragments but have never found one with a calyx. I have also found pieces containing trilobite fragments. Definately a cool find.

Rob

Your oddity is definately not a concretion from the Francis Creek Shale. it does appear to me to be a calyx of either a crinoid or cystoid. Mazon creek collectors refer to this stone as "wonder stone" (collectors wonder where it came from). It is transported glacial till and is often found out on the spoil piles. I have collected quite a few pieces containing crinoid fragments but have never found one with a calyx. I have also found pieces containing trilobite fragments. Definately a cool find.

Rob

Thanks for that Rob, considering i know nothing about the depositional nature of the area i wouldnt have known that were a possiblity...perhaps they are blastoid/cystoid? very interesting!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.