Sign in to follow this  
Shriva

St. Clair, PA fern fossils (Looking for legal place)

Shriva

I recently(couple weeks ago) went to St.Clair PA, and got some fern fossils with my 6yo son...

Now i find out where i was told to go is Reading Anthracite property and is closed to fossil collecting! (I never saw any posted signs or anything)

I would like to go back, but legally this time of course.

So i did some looking around and went to http://gis.co.schuylkill.pa.us/mapviewer/
That shows you who owns the land around the dig sites.

Here are some photos, marked with where i think the main site was?

(Google photos shared album)
https://goo.gl/photos/T9cVyqECCLxQ8fWLA

Photo #1 is st.clair, pa
Photo #2 is wider view on how far outside town it is.
Photo #3 is closeup of closed dig site and gun range.
Photo #4 is the property lines .. highlighted in Reading Anthracite property, but above and below it are owned by other people..

I haven't yet looked them up to see if i can find them and get permission to look on thier land, but i was wondering if that was the site everone else went to, or if maybe they were on another property?

You can add photos to the shared album if you went to another area? Screenshot on phone or google maps works.. :)

Fossildude19

Hello, and Welcome to the Forum. :)

Unfortunately, you may have to hit the pavement or send some e-mails to private land owners.

I have heard of people hunting behind the Walmart and Home Depot on 61. I believe you need to ask permission at the stores, however.

Also - be careful of how much you wander - looks like Reading Anthracite owns a bunch of land abutting the strip malls there.

Good luck - let us know how you make out.

Regards,

Mattalic

Point of note:

I just spoke with Donna Kemfort, the Reading Anthracite real-estate admin, regarding their public recreation permits and what they allow.

They are very strict with the rulings. If you are riding ATV/Dirt Bikes you can rec. there. If you are collecting fossils, there needs to be school students present. Teachers cannot go and collect FOR their students - students need to be on-site. I explicitly asked them this as my colleague, an 8th grade earth science teacher, was wanting to make a trip to collect for a lab. This is not possible. People will be charged with trespassing and fined damage to the property at a premium.

I would be very interested knowing locations to collect St. Clair ferns on legal property if anyone finds any. Directions would also be very much appreciated.

naturalwonders

I'm a casual collector but huge fan ferns and fossils of all types. I've also been interested in finding a legal way to collect a few pieces. Maybe a group of us could go as "students." After all, we are all paleontologists of some sort; some more advanced than others. 

Ropterus
On 6/1/2016 at 1:24 PM, Mattalic said:

Point of note:

I just spoke with Donna Kemfort, the Reading Anthracite real-estate admin, regarding their public recreation permits and what they allow.

They are very strict with the rulings. If you are riding ATV/Dirt Bikes you can rec. there. If you are collecting fossils, there needs to be school students present. Teachers cannot go and collect FOR their students - students need to be on-site. I explicitly asked them this as my colleague, an 8th grade earth science teacher, was wanting to make a trip to collect for a lab. This is not possible. People will be charged with trespassing and fined damage to the property at a premium.

I would be very interested knowing locations to collect St. Clair ferns on legal property if anyone finds any. Directions would also be very much appreciated.

I also contacted them several months ago and spoke with Donna as you did. She told me the same thing she told you. I've never been there before, but was really hoping to someday. Love how those ferns look! Going to have to do some more research I suppose.