Wildman of the navidad

San Antonio ammonites?

Wildman of the navidad

Hi guys I am new to fossil hunting I am a cowboy by trade so fossils and cows never really went together until I started working in blanco where I've found numberous bivalves and Echinoids and corals while riding along checking cows so I've started to take up a lot of interest in hunting fossils now .. I live in San Antonio is there anywhere one could start to look for ammonites around SA or blanco help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone would like to go hunting pm me

bone2stone

Now that would be a trick. Even though there are ammonites down your way they are few and far between.

Lots of the Glen Rose formation exposures near there.

There are a few TFF members down your way they will most likely be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck

Jess B.

Wildman of the navidad

Thanks

hopefully I'll find someone close to home that can help thanks again

Gloomy Gazer

There are ammonites in San Antonio. I've seen them up to about 12 inches in diameter.

xolotl

I am new to San Antonio, but studied geology and hunted fossils in Austin. If you are looking for big  'cartwheel' ammonites, there should be some occurring in the youngest Cretaceous limestones or marls around S.A.. Download the San Antonio sheet of the Geologic Atlas of Texas if you do not have it already. The Bureau of Economic Geology in Austin had a publication on Texas Cretaceous Ammonites years ago. I assume it is still available. ( I have not done any fossil hunting in years and want to return to it here in S.A.)

Good luck.

Cnwalker

Hey I just joined this forum and I’m in San Antonio. I’m a complete novice but I am also looking for people in the San Antonio area for any kind of hunting and advice on it.  Also I know a couple places that could be promising in the area.  Just message me and I’ll tell you about them.

flemgunner

Im out near Uvalde and would love to go hunting near SA.  also on the ranch I live we have some cool Acro tracks. Let me know if you want to come check em out.

SpencerKnow

I found some, what I believe to be some oysters, at 211 and 90 where there is some construction. Wasn'f even looking long

image.jpg

Uncle Siphuncle

Ammonites can be tough to find near San Antonio.  I can never step out of the house with confidence that I might bump into one on any given day.  But my wife and I by chance encountered a small, rapidly advancing construction site last weekend, and she found this rare Hypophylloceras (Neophylloceras) on Mother's Day.

image.png.0a331a34823e5e4566ae775ff3cd3d89.png