Scientists Unveil Missing Link In Evolution

jimmy1971

People have been a buzz about this "find" in sectors of evolution however I think it is wishful thinking. I personally feel it will turn out to be a fabrication of some kind. As far as I've heard it hasn't been peer reviewed nor has any reputable scientific news sources. Its unfortunate for evolutionists because it will bring much negative attention if determined to be false.

Its website bring more skepticism on my part: http://www.revealingthelink.com/

It seems like an over dramatic ploy for attention.

Edit: it has finally like JUST made it to some science news sites. I'll be posting it below the pictures are much more detailed. Still no word on the peer review though.

The article I mentioned above:

ScienceDaily (May 19, 2009) — Scientists have found a 47-million-year-old human ancestor. Discovered in Messel Pit, Germany, the fossil, described as Darwinius masillae, is 20 times older than most fossils that explain human evolutio

Find the article HERE!

post-1547-1242767528_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

I totally 100% believe this to be our missing link. I personally know some of my relatives look a lot like Ida.

I'd like to make a note that I'm not being a skeptic for the sake of being a skeptic just this huge amount of media attention without proper peer review worries me. As an aspiring Paleoanthropologist I would ADORE for this fossil to have no strings attached but I don't want to get my hopes up just yet.

ooooh ooooh OOOOH ah ah AH EEEE EEEEEEEEE eee!

(Translation: "Heck of a fossil; shame about the hype!")

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter
I'd like to make a note that I'm not being a skeptic for the sake of being a skeptic just this huge amount of media attention without proper peer review worries me. As an aspiring Paleoanthropologist I would ADORE for this fossil to have no strings attached but I don't want to get my hopes up just yet.

PlosOne is peer reviewed.

PlosOne is peer reviewed.

I wasn't aware it made it into there yet, it was an over site on my part I was busy looking for info on the mine it was discovered in. Well hopefully this is the absolute real deal I still have a gut feeling it has strings attached though.

Skepticism is a scientist's best tool.

Nick

Skepticism is a scientist's best tool.

Nick

"Scanning-Tunneling Electron Skeptic Glasses"

The scientific method is not to prove something, but to disprove the null hypothesis.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I know many many fossil and paleontology hobbyists who are cheering in the streets over this find just the whole story and history behind this fossil seems a little too "AMAZING" and the publicity it is getting is equally strange in fact their website reminds me of the website of those guys who found "Bigfoot"

"Scanning-Tunneling Electron Skeptic Glasses"

The scientific method is not to prove something, but to disprove the null hypothesis.

Isn't that where the skeptic comes in? In this case, a skeptic could come in and prove the "missing link" hypothesis wrong. Or...something like that. Come on, guys it's Teusday, my brain is sleeping today...oh wait, it's Wednesday :D

Nick

Isn't that where the skeptic comes in? In this case, a skeptic could come in and prove the "missing link" hypothesis wrong. Or...something like that. Come on, guys it's Teusday, my brain is sleeping today...oh wait, it's Wednesday :D

Nick

I was agreeing with you; guess it didn't come across that way. My bad :)

were still missing so many links I hardly think this is "THE" one that will really tell us anything new, even if it is one!

So now it's not the missing link, but rather the missing link's cousin? huh...I'm bummed.

One of the specific points I've been advocating on another forum, yes this is an amazing find and it is one which solves a puzzle of linage however important it may be it isn't the earth shattering missing link which people are claiming it is. Its actual significance is much more valid to paleontologists and Primatologists rather than Paleoanthropologists. I'm actually quite astounded that the Paleoanthropologists and Anthropologists haven't realized this yet.

Guest N.AL.hunter

They aren't wrong... until another one like it is found, it is "the" missing link! When another one is found it will be "a" missing link. But wait, if it is "found", it won't be "missing" any longer. Therefore, what they have "was" the missing link. Of course, it just might be "a" missing link, but not in the line of humans. How many other ways can it be expressed?

They aren't wrong... until another one like it is found, it is "the" missing link! When another one is found it will be "a" missing link. But wait, if it is "found", it won't be "missing" any longer. Therefore, what they have "was" the missing link. Of course, it just might be "a" missing link, but not in the line of humans. How many other ways can it be expressed?

I'm referring to the infamous missing link which is binds the great ape lineage to the hominid lineage.

Guest N.AL.hunter
I'm referring to the infamous missing link which is binds the great ape lineage to the hominid lineage.

Well you definitely haven't seen me without my shirt on!!

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the fossil most likely represents a transition from lemur-like primates to more ape-like ones, and not apes to more human-like ones. That "missing link" has already been found. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahelanthropus_tchadensis

While I'm at it........ <shameless advertising> The Fossil Wiki has been greatly updated, and has a brand-new look to it (new logo, taglines, etc) Come and check it out! An article on Darwinius is also here! </shameless advertising> B) B)

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

You've been reading too many of tracer's posts, haven't you?

Better lie down for a bit...

:o :o :o whats with this Darwin stuff we did not evolve from apes common people......... :angry:

i came saw drooled and collected