Velociraptor Skeleton 3d model WiP

MithosKuu

I modeled it in 3ds max, as an aside, half the poly count is in those tail extensions, the high poly render model weighs in at about 1.5 million polys and drags my computer down to about 1 fps, it makes rendering so much fun lol

Yep. Sometimes you can "decimate" the poly's down to just a few percent followed by smoothing without too much degradation. But save off the hires version first. ;-)

Edited by CraigHyatt

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

Very nice, looks like it's sitting down eating lunch. Congratulations on a job well done.

On that image I would think the distal part of tail would have some curvature or flex to it looks too ridged.

Very nice, looks like it's sitting down eating lunch. Congratulations on a job well done.

On that image I would think the distal part of tail would have some curvature or flex to it looks too ridged.

Haha yeah, that's mostly due to those tail extensions. I haven't set them up to bend and deform yet, so rotating them would cause those extensions to shoot out all over the place.

• 3 weeks later...

post-20411-0-55732000-1472151007_thumb.jpg

Saw this for sale at a local Thrift Shop for................. wait for it..................for.................. wait.........

$1,200!!! So much for it being a bargain.

Wonder what it would cost to 3D print a full size model of your rendering?

SA2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

attachicon.gifimage000000.jpg

Saw this for sale at a local Thrift Shop for................. wait for it..................for.................. wait.........

$1,200!!! So much for it being a bargain.

Wonder what it would cost to 3D print a full size model of your rendering?

SA2

The skull and jaw cost roughly $140 to print, the rib cage cost around $130 but that was before I modified it a couple times, seeing as those are the two biggest pieces I can't imagine the full skeleton would cost nearly that much. If there is interest I will upload the rest of the bones to shapeways once I get around to making the humerus more accurate and figure out how to split up the tail (it's too long to print as a single piece)

Also there are these images I've been meaning to post...

Raptorv2_137.jpg

Raptorv2_138.jpg

Edited by MithosKuu

• 4 months later...

So I've recently been working on a Scipionyx reconstruction and have made significant improvements to a variety of my bones, figured I ought to go back and update the raptor to be on par;

Raptorv3_003.jpg

And here is a comparison between the two, including the specific bones I improved

Raptorv3_002.jpg

• 3 months later...

Decided to go back and add a lot more detail to the skull

velociraptor_mongoliensis___skull_v3_by_

Also, the skeletal for the Utahraptor was released, so...

020.jpg